• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United goes for Boeing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoops - now I do. I guess I see how making the switch can cost money and require additional training, etc. I guess UAL has a few years until the MAX arrives anyway to make the eventual switch.

Just wondering if there was a specific reason for retaining it given that SWA made the switch and the pilots I talk to there seem to prefer the standard PFD. Oh well - I guess Management and the accountants know best...

Now they will probably put in an order for busses as well because for some reason these airlines have a desire to have multiple aircraft types that do the same thing. We never talk about how much this costs but it costs a lot in unnecessary duplication and inefficiency.

Oh no! A lot of those former UAL Airbus pilots will have to learn how to fly again! Joking...:p:laugh:

Let's hope the former CAL guys don't request the simulated analog on their PFDs on the 737 MAX... Why do they still use the old analog version when even SWA converted from that to the standard PFD with speed and altitude tapes? Seriously, why stay with the analog version on the current 737NG fleet?

I prefer fifi over the guppy; it's a much better cockpit design. And I've got no issues with the way it flies.

As for the analog on glass, CAL went with that long ago to allow all guppy pilots to fly with one certificate. They've been looking at going to the standard PFD but Boeing wants additional money to convert them over plus there will need to be some aircrew training.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the conversion to standard PFDs after all 500s are gone .... not that 500s are the issue but at that point, all guppies will be NGs.

Bottom line is that TheBigPicture was spot on when he said it costs $.

Forget the fake glass, how about the 1960's designed overhead panal! The NG's have the same panel as the 200 I used to fly. The 737 is fine for management, they don't fly them nor do they giva a crap about those that do. The shame is on Boeing. They allow airlines to dictate to them what the design will be. The yoke in the 777 is a perfect example, put there at the request of senior UAL types. They handcuff themselves by not being willing to let their engineers/designers do there job.

Forget the fake glass, how about the 1960's designed overhead panal! The NG's have the same panel as the 200 I used to fly. The 737 is fine for management, they don't fly them nor do they giva a crap about those that do. The shame is on Boeing. They allow airlines to dictate to them what the design will be. The yoke in the 777 is a perfect example, put there at the request of senior UAL types. They handcuff themselves by not being willing to let their engineers/designers do there job.

Boeing is just giving the customers what they want....incremental growth with minimal investment.

The shame here is on the FAA. How a -200 and a -900ER is allowed to be the same type is beyond me.

$9 Billion order yet not pilot contract.

The new pitch is going to be you can all upgrade and we will take the planes if the pilots pay for them and give management another bonus.

I prefer fifi over the guppy; it's a much better cockpit design. And I've got no issues with the way it flies.

As for the analog on glass, CAL went with that long ago to allow all guppy pilots to fly with one certificate. They've been looking at going to the standard PFD but Boeing wants additional money to convert them over plus there will need to be some aircrew training.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the conversion to standard PFDs after all 500s are gone .... not that 500s are the issue but at that point, all guppies will be NGs.

Bottom line is that TheBigPicture was spot on when he said it costs $.

And the 767 is better than the bus and the 777 is better than the 767 and the 747 is better than the yadda, yadda, yadda. Who cares? The bus is a POS that cant make the west coast in the winter. The 75 is worthless over the pond. The 76 is a pig when full. The 777 makes you lose your flying skills. My johnson is bigger than yours. Ok, that's true.

miracle lure part 2, remember the 787. no contract anywhere to be seen. the ultimate meltdown is about to happen, bad management decisions will bring the company to its knee's.

this place wil fail within 5 years by the idiots who run UNITED HOLDING COMPANY

Latest resources

Back