• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United 1st Year Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...My wife doesn't work and we have a baby at home. When I move on, day care and a reserve schedule and no family in town would be almost impossible so I will be the sole breadwinner for the foreseeable future...
I don't know how you young pilots do it. This is a tough industry to have a new family at home. As we say in the military when child issues come up, "you weren't issued a kid!" But I feel for you, gone all the time, no break for mama. Good luck...

When considering an airline career, you must plan ahead for first year pay at any airline. It probably will probably never change, the best thing is to have some money saved to make it through year one.
Year two typically doubles (or higher) first year pay. Plan on min guarantee for budgeting.

To answer the OPs question.

While in training it's 91 hours a month at year one pay, plus $50/day per diem, hotel is paid for, positive space home on weekends. Works out to about $8500/month.

Once off IOE just multiply year one by 73, and deduct standard taxes and what ever your state income taxes are, health insurance too if you go that route.

73 reserves are not getting even close to breaking guarantee, when you do fly, per diem is about $50/day.

Can't speak to 76 or Bus. No one is going to Guam. Expect EWR for the foreseeable future.

Curious what you're background is? Where are you coming from? I'm guessing not from another airline because, historically, that pay rate is actually pretty good. I'm not saying that is what you or any other pilot is worth or deserves, only that it is a pretty high first year rate as far as major airlines go.

Most guys either know the industry well or have researched it enough to know that applying to and getting hired at a major takes some planning (especially if married with kids), specifically you need to start saving some money well ahead of time to cover the first years pay and sometimes draconian policies (i.e. no insurance for the first six months).

That is the way this industry works...lesson learned. Consider yourself lucky it is not $29/hour as AA was in the not too distant past.

I was thinking the same thing. I started at $31/hr. It was quite difficult but all of us made it work. Does anyone start over $80/hr?

Consider the cost when XJT goes t$&@ up or takes a bankruptcy concession? Plus, remember that you also get 16% of your salary thrown into retirement from day one. When I was at XJT, I believe it was a 6% match- not sure if that has gone down or not.

Not trying to be harsh, but quite honestly, you can't afford NOT to do it if you plan on ever retiring. I know it sucks, I've been there believe me living in NJ ain't cheap but I've never regretted taking the leap.

I was thinking the same thing. I started at $31/hr. It was quite difficult but all of us made it work. Does anyone start over $80/hr?

Nobody does, but EVERY MAJOR AIRLINE should and we should do it while times are good.

Remember when almost every airline was in bankruptcy and pilots had almost no leverage bc starting over meant not only full seniority lost, but also back to $25k-$30k

At least at $100/hour pilots can take a stand knowing the next job will pay a liveable wage -

Besides- we've earned it by the time we get to a major. I don't care what your background is, you come in day 1 bloody f^cking experienced and a valuable asset.

I'm an ERJ capt with XJT and generally credit over 100 hours a month. My wife doesn't work and we have a baby at home. When I move on, day care and a reserve schedule and no family in town would be almost impossible so I will be the sole breadwinner for the foreseeable future. Even if my wife worked it would barely cover daycare so it's kind of a wash between her working or staying home.

I remember when CAL newhires were getting like $33 an hour so $66 is definitely an improvement. But wanted to see how guys actually fare on the line. My app is out there. Hopefully we can get some money saved and move on at the right time. My main priority is to provide for my family and the long term stability at XJT isn't as good as moving on for sure!

So are you only applying to United and that's why you asked the question about United?

I don't know how you young pilots do it. This is a tough industry to have a new family at home. As we say in the military when child issues come up, "you weren't issued a kid!" But I feel for you, gone all the time, no break for mama. Good luck...

Keep in mind, with that thing called "the dark decade" basically over, some of the guys with a baby at home might not be so "young" right now.

In other words, they were hired at a regional pre 9/11, weren't hired during the "boom" of 2007-2008, and NOW it's basically 14-15-16 years later and suddenly things like having a kid and progress in life as an adult start to creep on them. All the while, STILL holding their breath, treading water, chasing their tale trying to get the legacy job going on 15+ years now.

Anyone just applying now to UAL is well over a year from seeing a class date. Plenty of time to budget. Most important thing , GTFO of the regional business.

Latest resources

Back