Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ehoulli

Hey guys,

Talking budgetary things over with my wife here. Any idea what a first year FO can expect to make on average once you are on the line? Are people breaking guarantee or just sitting on reserve? Seems like $66/hr at min guarantee would still be tight, especially for those with kids, etc... Thanks for any input!!!

737, haven't broken guarantee since being online in November, might break it this month. About $3100/month after taxes and deductions. Probably better on 76T, I think they fly a lot and consistently get per diem wick could be another $500 or more. Hope that helps, good luck.

Hey guys,

Talking budgetary things over with my wife here. Any idea what a first year FO can expect to make on average once you are on the line? Are people breaking guarantee or just sitting on reserve? Seems like $66/hr at min guarantee would still be tight, especially for those with kids, etc... Thanks for any input!!!

Curious what you're background is? Where are you coming from? I'm guessing not from another airline because, historically, that pay rate is actually pretty good. I'm not saying that is what you or any other pilot is worth or deserves, only that it is a pretty high first year rate as far as major airlines go.

Most guys either know the industry well or have researched it enough to know that applying to and getting hired at a major takes some planning (especially if married with kids), specifically you need to start saving some money well ahead of time to cover the first years pay and sometimes draconian policies (i.e. no insurance for the first six months).

That is the way this industry works...lesson learned. Consider yourself lucky it is not $29/hour as AA was in the not too distant past.

New hires to Guam start at 2nd year pay and everyone there gets $3k Foreign Base Allowance. $10,300/mo guaranteed.

Yeah not great but beats 28/yr to fly the 777 and no health insurance for 6 months when I was hired. My wife was pregnant with our first; thankfully she was able to keep working long enough to carry the insurance before quitting.

Curious what you're background is? Where are you coming from? I'm guessing not from another airline because, historically, that pay rate is actually pretty good. I'm not saying that is what you or any other pilot is worth or deserves, only that it is a pretty high first year rate as far as major airlines go.

Most guys either know the industry well or have researched it enough to know that applying to and getting hired at a major takes some planning (especially if married with kids), specifically you need to start saving some money well ahead of time to cover the first years pay and sometimes draconian policies (i.e. no insurance for the first six months).

That is the way this industry works...lesson learned. Consider yourself lucky it is not $29/hour as AA was in the not too distant past.

I'm an ERJ capt with XJT and generally credit over 100 hours a month. My wife doesn't work and we have a baby at home. When I move on, day care and a reserve schedule and no family in town would be almost impossible so I will be the sole breadwinner for the foreseeable future. Even if my wife worked it would barely cover daycare so it's kind of a wash between her working or staying home.

I remember when CAL newhires were getting like $33 an hour so $66 is definitely an improvement. But wanted to see how guys actually fare on the line. My app is out there. Hopefully we can get some money saved and move on at the right time. My main priority is to provide for my family and the long term stability at XJT isn't as good as moving on for sure!

New hires to Guam start at 2nd year pay and everyone there gets $3k Foreign Base Allowance. $10,300/mo guaranteed.
That's nice...and senior pilots get to drop trips and pick up open trips at 150% pay, can hold commutable trips, and basically have their bags carried to the aircraft. Potential new hires don't need to hear how good it can be. They need to know how it will be now. Now is EWR on reserve with a crash pad, covering all 3 airports, earning guarantee.

Latest resources

Back