• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Returning Furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many pilots will be retiring in the next 10 years at UAL? Anything like CAL?

FutureTEDpilot said:
Sure wish the 747-400/777 would go junior like they did in 2000.

With the LCC, I don't expect that to happen. I'd expect to see 737/A320 Capt going junior to my dream job (dozing for dollars).

It sounds like you're making a prudent move in getting off of the LCC as fast as possible.

GogglesPisano said:
How many pilots will be retiring in the next 10 years at UAL? Anything like CAL?

Percentage-wise, CAL is a better bet. I think UAL's somewhere around 350/yr (probably a bit less).

Swaayze said:
Don't y'all think that a large # of bypassers are planning to come back at their "last chance recall"? (I assume there exists such a system at UAL).

Who do you think have been getting hired at FedEx, SWA, UPS and others? DO you really think anyone would leave those companies to go back to United?

How solid is the by-pass ?

Understand that one can by-pass up to 2 years with a letter from an employer. Does that mean a solid 2 years or does the reverse seniority callbacks begin and when they get to your number, letter or not, you have to decide ? Maybe a better question for Todd Coomans ??

Andy said:
With the LCC, I don't expect that to happen. I'd expect to see 737/A320 Capt going junior to my dream job (dozing for dollars).

It sounds like you're making a prudent move in getting off of the LCC as fast as possible.

Hey Andy?

Are you Andy H ????

Andy said:
And just to clarify the recall process for everyone. UAL is going through the list in seniority order. A recallee has four choices: accept recall, accept recall and go on military leave, bypass, or resign. I don't think many (if any) have fallen into the fourth category. For those that bypass, they can elect to return at any later time as long as recalls are occurring.
Once the seniority list is depleted (#8915 is called), UAL goes back through the list in reverse seniority order and tells the bypasser that s/he either accepts recall at this time, or forfeits their seniority number. One exception to this is if they previously obtained an LOA (which usually runs ~2 years).

What is the provision for if you are under contract to your current employer? Is that an "Accept recall and go on LOA" and you start to accrue longevity again, or are you still frozen in time like you were while furloughed? Also, can a civilian "Accept recall and go on LOA" similar to the Military folks? Thanks!

Acro

Last edited:
P3-Adub said:
Understand that one can by-pass up to 2 years with a letter from an employer. Does that mean a solid 2 years or does the reverse seniority callbacks begin and when they get to your number, letter or not, you have to decide ? Maybe a better question for Todd Coomans ??

You're talking about an LOA. At the beginning of furloughs, it was 2 years; more if needed. I think that most recent is 2 years max. The LOA has to be coordinated with the flight office of the domicile from which you were furloughed. It most likely would have had to be in effect prior to initial bypass, but don't quote me on that. If in doubt or you are interested in getting an LOA, I'd call my flight office rather than Todd.
I had a problem (more like concern) when I quit my UAL management job (UAL management sux rox, but that's for another thread) about whether or not I would revert back to UAL furloughee list. I called LAXFO to ensure that I was reinstated. They took a few days to get back to me, but they did call me and let me know that I was still on the seniority list. (BTW, LAXFO is awesome; they were a complete breath of fresh air after being exposed to ORDFO). The number for your flight office is 888-UAL9xxx, where xxx = domicile; LAX, SFO, ORD, SEA, etc.

FutureTEDpilot said:
Hey Andy?

Are you Andy H ????

Yeah, that's me. I was a total prick to that retired guy on Boyle's last night, but I don't think that guys in his position think about those of us who are standing outside, looking through the window. Hopefully my response today was more eloquent; it was definitely less alcohol impaired. I hope that I was able to properly express the concerns of furloughees.

Latest resources

Back