Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Quietly Raises Reservation Change Fees By $50 to $200!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Southwest to charge customers who don't show up

Southwest Airlines Co. will start charging a no-show fee for passengers who fail to cancel tickets before their flights.
Southwest brags that it doesn't charge ticket-change fees, and it lets customers apply the price of an unused ticket to a later trip.
But customers who take advantage of those policies are leaving too many seats empty, the airline says.
CEO Gary Kelly said the change will bring Southwest closer in line with policies at other airlines and won't alienate customers.
"By our research, customers understand that we all could benefit?customers and the company?from the opportunity to resell a seat," Kelly said. "Once the airplane takes off and (a seat) is empty, we can't ever reclaim that."

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_22192696

Southwest Airlines Co. will start charging a no-show fee for passengers who fail to cancel tickets before their flights.
Southwest brags that it doesn't charge ticket-change fees, and it lets customers apply the price of an unused ticket to a later trip.
But customers who take advantage of those policies are leaving too many seats empty, the airline says.
CEO Gary Kelly said the change will bring Southwest closer in line with policies at other airlines and won't alienate customers.
"By our research, customers understand that we all could benefit?customers and the company?from the opportunity to resell a seat," Kelly said. "Once the airplane takes off and (a seat) is empty, we can't ever reclaim that."

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_22192696

That's a slight twist but accomplishes the same thing. Glad to see Southwest joining in.

Makes me all the more glad to be an airplane owner...

Yes, I'm sure owning a small plane is a much cheaper option than paying ticket change fees (which are waived for elites).
You sound like you'd go a long way in airline management - trip over a ten dollar bill to save a penny.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sure owning a small plane is a much cheaper option than paying ticket change fees (which are waived for elites).
You sound like you'd go a long way in airline management - trip over a ten dollar bill to save a penny.

Andy, my definition of value is not exclusively measured in dollars.

Lets see... airline travel is anything but low-cost these days. Clearly, if something comes up or changes, you get gouged in fees. Taking a bag? Pay a fee... Want different time? Pay a fee. Want a stale airline sandwich? Pay a fee. About the only thing that's 'free' or included in the price is the attitude of airline employees.

I loaded up my kids and made a Spring Break trip in our plane from Texas to California and back... on our time. Made several changes along the way because we could and had an awesome time. Cost? Fuel, oil, parking, maintenance reserve came out slightly less than buying tickets on SWA for all of us - thank you Foreflight.

Not standing in lines - priceless. Not dealing with TSA Barney Fife - priceless. Not catching attitudes from cranky airline employees - priceless. Traveling on our time and not airline's - priceless.

As I said - different definition of value. I own a plane because I can. I enjoy the ownership and utilize it. I don't like dealing with traffic and driving 2-3 hours if I can fly the same distance in 20 minutes. Time has value to me, so does the convenience.

Airlines have chased away the business traveler and premium passengers by catering to and focusing on the lowest dollar. Note the explosion of the business jet industry in the same time frame. Some things just can't be put on the spreadsheet. That's why foreign airlines are leaving US airlines in the dust. Someone on a different thread said it perfectly: to a US airline, a customer is a necessary annoyance. To a foreign airline, the customer is everything. Sadly, it shows, and that's unfortunate.

These fees should all be included in your out-the-door fare when you buy your ticket. Getting hit with various fees at the airport simply adds to the annoyance factor. Airline travel is no fun. People dread dealing with all the crap associated with airline travel. I know I do... and I'm not the only one.

Different priorities, different values....

Last edited:
Andy, my definition of value is not exclusively measured in dollars.

Lets see... airline travel is anything but low-cost these days. Clearly, if something comes up or changes, you get gouged in fees. Taking a bag? Pay a fee... Want different time? Pay a fee. Want a stale airline sandwich? Pay a fee. About the only thing that's 'free' or included in the price is the attitude of airline employees.

I loaded up my kids and made a Spring Break trip in our plane from Texas to California and back... on our time. Made several changes along the way because we could and had an awesome time. Cost? Fuel, oil, parking, maintenance reserve came out slightly less than buying tickets on SWA for all of us - thank you Foreflight.

Not standing in lines - priceless. Not dealing with TSA Barney Fife - priceless. Not catching attitudes from cranky airline employees - priceless. Traveling on our time and not airline's - priceless.

As I said - different definition of value. I own a plane because I can. I enjoy the ownership and utilize it. I don't like dealing with traffic and driving 2-3 hours if I can fly the same distance in 20 minutes. Time has value to me, so does the convenience.

Airlines have chased away the business traveler and premium passengers by catering to and focusing on the lowest dollar. Note the explosion of the business jet industry in the same time frame. Some things just can't be put on the spreadsheet. That's why foreign airlines are leaving US airlines in the dust. Someone on a different thread said it perfectly: to a US airline, a customer is a necessary annoyance. To a foreign airline, the customer is everything. Sadly, it shows, and that's unfortunate.

These fees should all be included in your out-the-door fare when you buy your ticket. Getting hit with various fees at the airport simply adds to the annoyance factor. Airline travel is no fun. People dread dealing with all the crap associated with airline travel. I know I do... and I'm not the only one.

Different priorities, different values....

Well said.

He still won't understand.

Latest resources

Back