• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL Scope Arbitration Decision?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All that said, I fully expect Smisek and Company to disregard the decision and continue with their current path of destruction of our profession and ou company mainly because there isn't a set monetary penalty if they don't comply. In his Wallstreet lawyer mind, he will do what in the Wallstreet anarchist manifesto believes. Violate until penalized!!! Then settle for pennies on the dollar and violate some more!! Wonder if he is padding his resume for Goldman Sachs. After all, Blankfeins salary was more than what GS paid in taxes and dwarfs what he would ever make at UA.

Kinda' thinking the same thing. If Simsek already has the ball rolling, I'm sure he isn't going to just back down. It will be an interesting '11 for sure, but at least the last week is over for now...

Think twice????? And then what? Not got to work? Refuse to fly? And get fired? Remember we don't have a union at SkyWest. My employment at my airline is always at risk because I dont have the protection of a union. Unfortunatley for me. I was among the 32 percent that voted in favor of a union during the last drive.
Ok sure. I will refuse to fly in IAH or whatever other aweful bases continental has. Then what? Get fired? You continental pilots need to get over yourself's. Stop blaming us SkyWest pilots. Instead blame your crapy managment.

Were you forced to apply, interview, and accept your at-will employment?

Congrats to ALL pilots on the ruling. It is nice to see labor win one every once in a while. I can tell you that the overwhelming response on the SkyWest company boards is one of relief. Except for some guys that commute from IAH, none of the SkyWest guys wanted a thing to do with the flying. I just hope that Smeigel doesnt find a way to beat this on appeal.

You got that right. This is a win for all pilots. Some just may not realize it yet.

Smisek will simply live in his state of denial... This arrogant ass will probably not mention anything in the daily company propaganda about how his fancy law degree got him nothing but a tooth knocked out. His right wing bashing of unions, his threats to various employee groups, and his disdain for any hard working dedicated employee will continue. This scumbag even suggested after the merger with United that the Continental CBA's were null and void and gave him Carte Blanche to do what ever his dictator ass wanted to. I can honestly say that I've never met a more out of touch, totally disconnected from reality, corporate raider in my life. Lorenzo, Icahn, and the ********************bags on CNBC (Kudlow) that blame labor for all that is wrong with airlines, will surely be upset that their goldenchild got thumped. He might even be against airlines being under the RLA because he will be unable to tie this up for countless years in numerous appeals through the judicial labyrinth!

All that said, I fully expect Smisek and Company to disregard the decision and continue with their current path of destruction of our profession and ou company mainly because there isn't a set monetary penalty if they don't comply. In his Wallstreet lawyer mind, he will do what in the Wallstreet anarchist manifesto believes. Violate until penalized!!! Then settle for pennies on the dollar and violate some more!! Wonder if he is padding his resume for Goldman Sachs. After all, Blankfeins salary was more than what GS paid in taxes and dwarfs what he would ever make at UA.

After this decision, maybe outsourcing his job would be the best for the new UA. I'm sure they can find plenty smarter than him in China or India that would work a lot cheaper and better. Hopefully the board of the new UA will notice what has just occurred, they picked the wrong guy for this braintrust! Pay Bethune and Brenneman and they will lead this merger in the direction it needs to go.

Hasn't been a good week for CAL mgmt. Total meltdown in the northeast with disgruntled employees that are no longer willing to go the extra mile, losing a big case against the pilots and still begging for relief from contractual provisions while trying to openly violate it outside a snowstorm!

Speaking only for myself, RESIGN SMISEK!!!, take your money and go!! You have lost any credibility and leadership capital. Give the new UA a fighting chance and go find another gig.

Screw management!!!!!! They suck! They should let us airline pilots run all airlines because we have all the right answers all the time.... We'd be so much better off....

Last edited:
Smisek... This is just a taste of what's coming...

As angry as I was when I heard that CAL management was going to try to "test" our scope, I have to say that the pleasure that I felt yesterday seeing that Lorenzo wanna be, get egg in his face was worth the whole discomforting episode.
As pilots, we are all Nights in Shinning Armor. Our weapon: a throttle, the brakes and the formidable pen. We are all gathering, getting ready for battle. All I have seen since Smisek arrived is our service go down the drain, our customers have lost their love for us and the employees have become angry. This does not bode well for the Wallstreet's Merger and Acquisitions Poster child.
It looked like Smisek's mission was to come over, kick all the Unions around, collect some cash and go home. NOW... it looks like Smisek is going to be exchaging some blows, try to kick us around, then collect his cash and go home.

Get ready for your ego to be slapped a few times...

Good job Jeff! Way to get employees to find comfort and solidarity in each other! In about a year he will start getting pressure from everybody... Wallstreet, the board, the unions, everyone.

What is clear is that Jeff does not want to run an airline. Jeff is not a true leader. Jeff doesn't care about our collective careers. We don't care about you either...

See you in the battlefield...

Disrespect..

Well said..
Few years ago i came here to CAL with a positive attitude and appreciation for the company. Now all i have is disrespect and disgust for them.

I remember when our CEO used to say all along that he "doesn't need pilots' aproval or agreement to make the UA/CAL merger work.." Guess what, smart a%$ comments and threats that are unsustained and without any power give you nothing but lost credibility and laughs coming your way..

They teach numbers in law schools but i guess they haven't taught Smisek anything about 'coming down to the floor' to learn about and appreciate your workforce/employees that do the actual work for you..
Too bad, you have my minimum effort here at CAL (dont forget it was your choice).
Good luck running this airline, as you definitelly need luck with that attitude..

The message

His message to the employee groups, at least FAs and pilots, has been "you are not important, we don't care about you..., it doesnt matter what you do, we dont care about you, you are inconsequential to our company, we don't care, you don't matter, did we mention we dont care about you?"

That is an ill informed, dumb, belligerent and ineffective way of leading a group of FAs and pilots into a merger. I'm sure that since he doesn't see himself staying in OUR company he doesn't think that forging long term relationships is important. He will learn that to be a dreadful mistake next year. He will see that showing up in the room as "the bad cop" will not turn out to be a good strategy.
He will learn that we are an essential part of this company, even more important than the aircrafts themselves.
In the meantime, let's get ready to be what keeps him up at night next year. Game on!

Screw management!!!!!! They suck! They should let us airline pilots run all airlines because we have all the right answers all the time.... We'd be so much better off....

Yo,
Jeff junior, please keep your trust in mgmt to keep your best interests at heart.. I would certainly have more trust in an airline pilot to run an airline than any wallstreet, bean counting lawyer types. Dare you to name one single airline ceo currently that has a Howard Hughes, Juan Tripp, Bob Six, or Herb Kelleher type mentality in running an airline. This industry is infested with greedy, corrupt, corporate raiders who have no experience in aviation nor employee relations. Til then, keep your trust in them, you may actually become them. Sorry you lost your 70 seat gig for now.

A great business plan

Yo,
Sorry you lost your 70 seat gig for now.

Here is a great business plan.... You fly a 70 or 90 seater while you provide that great service to majors, so that eventually you get that major job which will not be there.

Maybe there are guys who like their RJ gig and are content. So, in that case if you have no further expectations, I totally understand your point. I have nothing to argue with you... You are a worker in a business that needs you. If you feel save without a Union, great? you don't even have Union dues!

However, if you are working going through your day hoping that someday it will all be worthwhile and you finally get what you have worked for all along then....

BTW I don't know any pilots that think airlines work better if they are run by pilots... What we think is necessary is that we are "led" by leaders that make a LIFETIME commitment, the way we make it, (Herb?) to develop a long term relationships with the workers to be successful. How about you collect your money if you are successful after 25 years? Continental has the most efficient pilot workforce after Southwest (look it up). That small little fact has never been acknowledged by our management. Our performance is tied to that little neglected fact.
Leaders with Jeff's attitude are a recipe for disaster. He has inspired us to work against ourselves. Job well done...

Latest resources

Back