• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Types of Climbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know for sure if it applies to part 135, but under 121 you don't necessarily have to meet the 3.3% on IFR takeoffs. As long as your company has made airport survey and determined a minimum obstacle clearance gradient that you can meet single engine, you're good to go. They can use not only straight out departures, but also climb over the field to a safe altitude or fly specific radials (to include climbs in a hold.) This is according to my last company's performance engineering department, and is in fact the way we operated during the 19 years that I was there.

You all are blowing this out of perportion...

all you need to know for the interview.. hell and for the line (for what it's worth) is how to convert a climb gradient from ft/nm to a %. The reason is because all NJ performance is in %.

FT/NM divided by 1 NM x 100

in other words (Example interview question) So what is the climb gradient on that DP? (say 550 ft/nm) = 500/6079=0.0822x100=8.22%

You all are blowing this out of perportion...

all you need to know for the interview.. hell and for the line (for what it's worth) is how to convert a climb gradient from ft/nm to a %. The reason is because all NJ performance is in %.

FT/NM divided by 1 NM x 100

in other words (Example interview question) So what is the climb gradient on that DP? (say 550 ft/nm) = 500/6079=0.0822x100=8.22%

I don't think that's true, if the interview team gives you a SID or just an airport plan with the TO mins, you should be ready to discuss what you need to depart from that field. Hopefully, some of this info will help or at least get someone to review the AIM and performance charts.

I don't know for sure if it applies to part 135, but under 121 you don't necessarily have to meet the 3.3% on IFR takeoffs. As long as your company has made airport survey and determined a minimum obstacle clearance gradient that you can meet single engine, you're good to go. They can use not only straight out departures, but also climb over the field to a safe altitude or fly specific radials (to include climbs in a hold.) This is according to my last company's performance engineering department, and is in fact the way we operated during the 19 years that I was there.

Part 135 operators can get special authorization like this as well but for the most part since we are not constantly flying into the same airports day in day out is is not worth the Ops Spec hassle. Instead we either meet the gradient, comply with the obstacle DP if one exists or depart VMC. I have seen those climb over the field procedures for EGE from a 121 operation and correct me if I'm wrong but there are aircraft specific. At least it looked that way where my dad use to fly.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back