Types of Climbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OPECJet

I've got a NetJets interview coming up, and one of the questions I've seen out there deals with types of climbs. I'm not really sure what they're looking for.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

They are usually looking for knowledge on climb segments. I would study 2nd segment climb.

I've got a NetJets interview coming up, and one of the questions I've seen out there deals with types of climbs. I'm not really sure what they're looking for.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Know and understand; 1.6, 3.3 and non standard DP.

I've got a NetJets interview coming up

Hey man...Just wanted to say congrats and good luck! Let me know how it goes. :beer:

Know and understand; 1.6, 3.3 and non standard DP.

On the departure SID, there is a chart with different airspeeds. If you can find the 100kts speed, and it says 550ft/min.....this is a 5.5 climb gradient.

I think they want to know if you know that.

On the departure SID, there is a chart with different airspeeds. If you can find the 100kts speed, and it says 550ft/min.....this is a 5.5 climb gradient.

I think they want to know if you know that.

Dividing your climb rate by ground speed for climb gradient doesn't sound quite right.
100 kts. = 1.667 NM/Min. 550/1.667=330 feet per NM
Using a rough 60:1 that would put the climb gradient at about 3.3. I also found this (gotta love google)

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Climb Gradient/Climb Rate [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Convert Climb Gradient To Climb Rate To convert the climb gradient to the climb rate in hundreds of feet, divide your current ground speed by 60 and multiply by climb gradient. Ex. If you are required to gain 200 ft per nautical mile and you have a 150kt ground speed, your rate of climb in hundreds of feet is 500. (150/60=2.5*200=500) [/FONT]

If someone would explain 1.6 and 3.3 for me I would appreciate it.

1.6% is a SE net climb gradient (2.4% gross) required during the 2nd segment of part 25 certified aircraft. 3.3% gross (2.5% net) is the standard second segment climb gradient required by TERPS but it is not SE even though we must meet it SE. If we can't meet the TERPS 2nd segment climb gradient SE then we must have an alternate obstacle DP or visual see and avoid procedure. All the 2nd segment charts in the AFM give you gross climb numbers. Hope that helps.

All the 2nd segment charts in the AFM give you gross climb numbers.

That's true for some manufacturers but several provide net climb gradient in lieu of gross gradient.

Latest resources

Back