• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EagleRJ

Are we there yet?
Link

When are we going to come to our senses and bring the TSA under control before they totally destroy the US airline industry? They seemingly don't answer to anyone in the government right now.

**censored****censored****censored****censored** Tsa!!!!

Remember, TSA stands for "Totally Senseless Adminstration".

I could start a rant here, but I'll just offer this. How come the TSA treats pilots like terrorists? When I used to commute to work, I once wrote to the TSA to ask how come I can be the "Inflight Security Coordinator" when I'm PIC and yet walk a few feet down the hall to get a jumpseat and suddenly become a security risk? Can't the TSA figure out that airline pilots are indeed airline pilots that went through all sorts of background checks prior to getting company and airport ID's?

Standby Double screening anyone???

Is it just me, or have others here experienced the same thing. When you flying as a standby non-rev PAx do you get the regular and then hand screening routine? I do everytime and every airport I have gone through this year...its prined on my pass at the bottom...why the heck is this....do you get the same treatment as an airline employee showing your company ID and Licenses if your out of uniform or in the case of dispatchers, we dont have uniforms....but it would be cool if we did!..black and white hoizontal strips...hehe..

Anyway, I was just wondering if this is the norm now....

The problem is that they basically answer to no one. And if anyone questions what they are doing then the questioner is either a security risk or someone who "doesn't care" about the safety of the skies. This is exactly what many were afraid of when it was formed, and now it is coming to pass. The only way that they are going to be brought under control is to innundate your elected reps (DC) with concerns. Encourage everyone you know, because if all the uproar is coming from pilots it probably won't do any good.

If you look closely at the non rev agreement on which you are travelling you will probably find that being a Selectee for extra security is a requirement of the standby travel now. This is fairly common. If myself or my wife or son travel on any of the other companies that US Airways has agreements with for non rev we get selected 100% of the time.

rvsm410 said:
Is it just me, or have others here experienced the same thing. When you flying as a standby non-rev PAx do you get the regular and then hand screening routine? I do everytime and every airport I have gone through this year...its prined on my pass at the bottom...why the heck is this....do you get the same treatment as an airline employee showing your company ID and Licenses if your out of uniform or in the case of dispatchers, we dont have uniforms....but it would be cool if we did!..black and white hoizontal strips...hehe..

Anyway, I was just wondering if this is the norm now....

Not sure but...

I just flew a four-leg, non-rev trip (with legs on my both own airline and one off-line carrier) with my two kids and we didn't get any secondary screening at all. I think the difference may be timing. I listed us for the entire roundtrip about three days before we started the trip, and luckily the flights I had listed for were still open when we flew so no last-minute changes were made.

I believe the last minute changes (i.e. within 24 hours of the flight) are what triggers the extra screening.

Latest resources

Back