TSA vs TSA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
amaineiac said:
You’re joking right? You can buy an entire uniform online, with the exception of the ID. Most of them are a joke anyway. Last time I had a secret service agent onboard, I asked him what he thought of it. He just shook his head in disgust.
Can you tell me what “pilot shoes” are? Last time I bought shoes for work, the only thing the salesman wanted from me was my money.
Maybe after the savages kill a few more 1000 innocent Americans, the government will get serious about security.

No, I'm not joking. I challenge you to demonstrate that you can get a full uniform, including wings and insignia. Make mine a Delta uniform, please.

"Pilot shoes"? You know, those dull black shoes they sell in the uniform store. Also known as a sarcastic remark.

On the other hand, I do agree that the government needs to get serious about security.
While I was getting my daily TSA shakedown the other day, I actually had a TSA surpervisor tell me that this whole checkpoint thing is "geared more toward public image and confidence", and that's why the crews get "special" attention. Can you believe he actually admitted that? Gotta love our system made to make people feel good but not to actually stop a terrorist.

No, I'm not joking. I challenge you to demonstrate that you can get a full uniform, including wings and insignia. Make mine a Delta uniform, please.

Black Hat- General uniform store selling police uniforms. Let me know if you need exact name and city.

Double Brested Blazer- Navy Surplus (it the exact same as Service dress blue for Navy Officer and Non-commissioned officer).

Shoes- While your at the navy surplus store, might as well pick up some of those bates lites you've been looking for.

Black Trousers- J. C. Penny's

White Shirt with Epelet loops- Again any general uniform store, or Sporty's catalog.

Black tie, Black Belt- Again J. C. Penny's

Any model maker could fake a set of their wings. And besides, are they going to take them off to test for authenticity of the metal or just glance at them.

ID- Setup for ID maker to look authentic INCLUDING hologram layout approx. $500, with OTS software, scanner or digital camera. All you need is a photo of a Delta pilot in uniform wearing his ID to get the layout right.

Couple of counterpoints to this argument-
How many hours of training does TSA screener get on recognizing ALL of the VALID AIRLINE IDENTIFICATION that is being used in this country? Probably more types of different looking IDs than there are different state driver's licenses.

Why Delta? He11, make up an airline and get through security. My typical experience jumpseating and commuting has been showing up at the security checkpoint and the ticket checker looks at my ID (which is in front), and then not even knowing that they have seen my ID, they begin to flip through other cards that I maintain on my lanyard, like company phone numbers and ALPA numbers card. You can see the wheels turning in there mind..""must be OK"".

Only one way to fix all this: UNIVERSAL SMART IDs

But what dumn terrorist would subject himself to all the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** screening that pilots in uniform currently seem subjected to.

Last edited:
"Pilot Shoes"

Hey ifly4food,

You can get a full Delta uniform, including "pilot shoes," at "The Field Shops, Inc." next to MIA. They'll even tailor it for you if you like.

Unfortunately, they don't sell common sense.

"Pilot shoes?!?" Did someone bring in a pair of those to your third grade show and tell?

As for IDs, you could put a baseball card in a plastic sleeve, hang it around your neck and get past most TSA-holes. Their fetish is the wand, not the badge.

one of the funniest sights i saw was in houston, maybe last year. i was walking past one of the checkpoints, and saw a cop, full uniform, gun on his hip, etc, getting hand-wanded... i slowed my pace to watch the outcome.. the wand reached the hip, it beeped, the cop took the gun out, held it away from the hip (but was glad to see he didn't put it down, or in any other way let go of it).. tsa wanded the hip, no beep, cop put the gun away, arms back out, continued the wanding.
i just shook my head, and kept on walking.

How's this one...in Las Vegas last year, I saw a young woman in sandals/flipflops being wanded by one of the screeners. When the wand went over her feet, the wand beeped. The screener asked her to take her sandals off. Do you think the screener wanded her sandals? NO! The screener wanded the bottom of the girl's BARE FEET! No socks, no hose, just bare feet. What was the screener looking for? Did the screener think the woman had sliced open her foot, inserted a knife, then stitched her foot right back up again? Where is the logic?

I've been wanting to know the answer to this for a long time:

Suppose a passenger has received extensive martial arts training. Wanding them would accomplish little, if they really wanted to kill someone. (I have this picture in my head of Jet Li killing twelve TSA screeners using their own wands.)

Should they be manacled before they can clear security? Should they be allowed into the airport at all?

To quote on of my favorite Americans, "it's symbolism over substance"

I remain convinced that the only thing preventing another September 11, 2001 is a collective mindset amongst the pax that they will not sit quietly if it happens on their flight. I've had little old ladies tell me (sitting in the cabin going home or to work) that they will take out a trouble maker with their purse if need be.

regards,
enigma

pilot shoes

I found a pair. They're called "Deer Stags". No metal in them. You'll find them at J.C. Penny's. I never have to take them off. Even at ICT where just looking at the metal detectors will set them off.

Snooch to the Nooch!

The screening is getting way out of hand. You see people that anyone with half a lightbulb for a brain would give at least a second look at, pass through the screening and an older white business man stripped down to his pants. Doesn't make any sense.

From what I can see, TSA was created not only as a PR ploy but also as a place to put all the FBI and CIA idiots that screwed up 9/11. After all you can't fire them.

I have yet to see anyone in TSA that has had experience in the security side of the old SAC. Those guys mush had done something right. Never heard of a B52 being hi-jacked.

Have spent some time in Europe, they do a much better job of airport security in western Europe. Germany, Italy, UK, they treat airports as part of their borders. Their screening as very effective but less intrusive. The security personnel as better trained. It looks like a much better lash up than we have here. But it is very likely that, that was the reason we don't do that here. the US government don't think of it first. There is way too much of the 'Not invented here' syndrome in the government.

In my book Singapore has one of the better and more practical screening systems.

They screen passengers exclusively at the boarding area lounge. Each lounge are/gate is separated by glass walls. One hour prior to boarding the gate agents along with a few security guards will open the lounge and screen ticketed passengers as the go in. They are extremely thorough and efficient. There are no long lines and they can be more thorough on their search because you are getting screened only with your fellow passengers for that flight.

i am sick of paying heavy taxes and fees for no real security, idiotic policies, long lines and extra harassment. If we want people to return to the air we need to make air travel convenient again.

Latest resources

Back