Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
Well I guess I feel safe now. Yesterday, as my entire crew got wanded at DIA, (what are the odds that we all set off a metal detector?), I observed the TSA agents wanding EACH OTHER!

I just about fell to the floor laughing.

Does this mean that the Feds don't even trust themselves?

Our government has put almost all of our security eggs in the screening basket; we are dependent on their vigilance for our very lives. We trust that they will detect weapons in a carryon, but we don't trust them to not be terrorists themselves. To screen them makes about as much sense as wanding a cop as he stands there holding his sidearm. Or the FAM's making sure that each other are not carrying a pocketknife.

I don't know about ya'll, but I think that any FEDERAL screener needs to be to as trusted as a FAM/LEO; and if they can't trust them, fire em.

regards
8N

At first glance, I thought that TSA folks wanding each other was absurd, but then I thought it through...

TSA workers are not LEOs--they don't carry weapons, so why place them in the same category as LEOs? Just because someone wears a TSA uniform doesn't mean they are squeeky clean and unable to bring weapons through security. They've got to be searched.

Gee, sounds like the same argument that has been used against uniformed crewmember for the past year.

I think it only appropriate that they watch each other for contraband, just as we're being looked at.

I'm just happy that there is consistency out there finally. Right or wrong, at least I know what to expect.

Eagleflip said:
At first glance, I thought that TSA folks wanding each other was absurd, but then I thought it through...

TSA workers are not LEOs--they don't carry weapons, so why place them in the same category as LEOs? Just because someone wears a TSA uniform doesn't mean they are squeeky clean and unable to bring weapons through security. They've got to be searched.

Gee, sounds like the same argument that has been used against uniformed crewmember for the past year.

I think it only appropriate that they watch each other for contraband, just as we're being looked at.

I'm just happy that there is consistency out there finally. Right or wrong, at least I know what to expect.

I thought about it as well.

I understand what you are saying, and I do appreciate that now we pilots are not the only Federal representatives who get treated as the enemy, BUT WHY did we federalize the screeners?

I say this, If we can't trust them to leave their pocket knives at home, How can we trust that they will not allow one of their terrorist buddies to slip a gun past the X-ray machine. I thought that the reason that we federalized them was to be able to get trusted people doing the work.

regards,
8N

Oh Please....

Have you ever seen a congressman go through the checkpoint? I have. Governors and Cabinet level employees too. They do. So do U.S. soldiers. Even the U.N. pukes with diplomatic immunity have to go through the checkpoint.

Everyone who goes through the checkpoint, with the exception of LEO's (law enforcement officers) and a few others should be hand wanded to keep the sterile area sterile. The TSA screeners don't have SIDA badges so they can't use bypass doors. At airports that have not gone federal it is the same way and always has been. How come it didn't seem ridiculous to you back then?

EVERYONE has to go thru security ALL the time??? Wrong!
I dont have to go thru security in maybe 40% of the cities I fly to. Why am I safe in those cities but not the others? How hard is it to make a fake LEO ID and badge and walk around security with a gun, then go get on a plane with a regular ticket and start blasting away at the crew?

skypine69 said:
EVERYONE has to go thru security ALL the time??? Wrong!
I dont have to go thru security in maybe 40% of the cities I fly to. Why am I safe in those cities but not the others?

I agree with you here. ALPA should be fighting to make SIDA badges universal instead of getting us guns.

How hard is it to make a fake LEO ID and badge and walk around security with a gun, then go get on a plane with a regular ticket and start blasting away at the crew?

This argument irritates me. I hate it when some know it all screener tells me anyone can get a pilot uniform. We all know that's untrue... you can't buy pilot shoes without ID these days, forget wings and epaulets. And faking an airline ID? Please.

Let's not act like these ignorant LEOs by taking up the same ridiculous argument. Not being a LEO, I can't say for sure, but anytime I see a uniformed LEO pass a checkpoint, they must swipe a card and enter a code into a special reader. Plainclothes LEOs travelling must check in and present documentation first.
It would be pretty difficult to fake that stuff, and unrealistic to walk up to a checkpoint, show a badge, and walk through. It just doesn't work that way.

Besides, why should a terrorist go to that much trouble of faking crew or LEO? All he has to do is be a Middle Eastern male between the ages of 18 and 30, dress business casual and buy a ticket with a credit card. He will pass any checkpoint and stands about a 0% chance of being "randomly" selected since our weenie PC culture is afraid to profile anyone other than the least risk individuals.

It worked on 9/11/01 and nothing has changed to stop it now.

ifly4food said:

This argument irritates me. I hate it when some know it all screener tells me anyone can get a pilot uniform. We all know that's untrue... you can't buy pilot shoes without ID these days, forget wings and epaulets. And faking an airline ID? Please.

You’re joking right? You can buy an entire uniform online, with the exception of the ID. Most of them are a joke anyway. Last time I had a secret service agent onboard, I asked him what he thought of it. He just shook his head in disgust.
Can you tell me what “pilot shoes” are? Last time I bought shoes for work, the only thing the salesman wanted from me was my money.
Maybe after the savages kill a few more 1000 innocent Americans, the government will get serious about security.

LEOS

I'm not buying the arguement that leos should'nt have to go through security. The ability to forge any document is childs play with todays technology,as well as the ability to obtain ANY type of badge. They strip me down,but Gomer with the Smithsonian(true!) can walk on board with a gun without going through security?? What's wrong with that picture??

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back