Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To unionize or not to unionize. That is the question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why do you have to ask that question....

I nominate Freebrd for RJ National Seniority List chairman.
SWABubba can serve hot dogs and Pepsi at the meetings.

After stints at three now gone legacy carriers ... I'll take a local union or none, thanks.

Bob

What's a local Union?

Have you ever worked at a non-Union shop? Have you witnessed unjustified firings, pilot pushing and just-get-er-donenitise personally or are the three "now gone" Union shops your only point of reference?

The problem with unions is the pilots who are elected. It doesn't take long for them to settle in and get used to being home every night, expensive dinners on my dime, never work holidays, when they do travel they stay in better hotels. Some pick up trips on the side and make a killing. It happens in every Union I've been in. (5) for me. Before some jackleg gets on here to tell me what a huge sacrifice they made in their union. I'll just say this, if it was worse than line flying you'd be back on line. I have yet to be associated with a union that hasn't been accused (with good reason) of acting in this manner.

I'm just curious, do you know what it's like to be a Union elected official first hand or are you part of the too lazy to ever land a hand but bitch at every opportunity anyway crowd? In other words, do you speak from actual experience or are you just flapping your gums, re-repeating what you've heard others say out on the line?

This kind of crap about Unions is what keeps our profession eternally divided...who is ultimately helped by that I wonder?

What's a local Union?

Have you ever worked at a non-Union shop? Have you witnessed unjustified firings, pilot pushing and just-get-er-donenitise personally or are the three "now gone" Union shops your only point of reference?

Are you really that dense, or are you just trying to get a rise out of the poster? A "local union" is a union that is not a chapter of a national union (such as at Delta and United, which each host a local chapter of ALPA), but is instead completely autonomous, and represents one airline exclusively. Examples include APA for American Airlines' pilots, and SWAPA for Southwest Airlines' pilots.

Bubba

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back