Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To unionize or not to unionize. That is the question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's a local Union?

Have you ever worked at a non-Union shop? Have you witnessed unjustified firings, pilot pushing and just-get-er-donenitise personally or are the three "now gone" Union shops your only point of reference?

I have worked at both non-union and local (defined as "Not associated with a national organization.") air carriers. I prefer both to my ALPA experiences at legacies or my Teamsters experiences (my least favored option).

I have never seen unjustified firings nor pilot pushing nor any other expression you use. My peers and I have always held our ground without pushing or arm twisting. It sounds to me that you need to develop a better standard when you accept work.

I am approaching 65 wish you well as I transition out of the GV and head off to fun flying.

Bob

Is management working on your best interest? JB and vx were the last major airlines to be non union. The only regional I can think of is sky west.

This is a union profession and an unfortunate nessesary evil of our careers.

I was at SkyWest for 14 years and have been at UAL for a few months. The union argument at SkyWest or any regional is strong for and against. There are definite benefits to a union at a regional, but the whole point of the regional "fee for departure" model was/is to circumvent the unions and drive down labor cost since the regional labor union has no leverage against the people who actually get the real revenue (i.e. mainline).

At United or any mainline carrier (meaning your paycheck comes from the company that sells the seats) then union all the way.

Scott

since the regional labor union has no leverage against the people who actually get the real revenue (i.e. mainline). Scott
Which gets you the ComAir solution, read unemployment. With the pilot shortage like now, voting with your feet may be a much quicker way to improve the job. I am betting a lot of this sign up bonus money and retention incentives money is coming from the mainline partner which are finding this low labor cost is a broken model. I am guessing that the regional problem is killing mainline feed.

Latest resources

Back