To 121 pilots from a dispatcher...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I got this ACARS message from a crew tonight:

HEY DISPATCHERS PUT YOUR THINKING CAPS ON. AH (location) COLD DEICE MAYBE WE SHOULD GIVE EM GAS. LUCKILY THEY OVER FUELED US

My response:

YOU'RE RIGHT. GOOD THING THEY OVERFUELED YOU. IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ENOUGH FUEL WHY DON'T YOU CALL ME AND ASK FOR MORE BEFORE YOU SIGN THE RELEASE. JOINT RESPONSIBILITY. REMEMBER?

Am I wrong here? If you, as PIC, don't think you have enough fuel for the intended operation would you call dispatch and request more fuel or would you just b!tch at dispatch as this "captain" did?

If you don't know this already, we can't accurately plan for taxi times. We can't predict taxi and deicing times or delays to the minute.

405 said:
I got this ACARS message from a crew tonight:

HEY DISPATCHERS PUT YOUR THINKING CAPS ON. AH (location) COLD DEICE MAYBE WE SHOULD GIVE EM GAS. LUCKILY THEY OVER FUELED US

My response:

YOU'RE RIGHT. GOOD THING THEY OVERFUELED YOU. IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ENOUGH FUEL WHY DON'T YOU CALL ME AND ASK FOR MORE BEFORE YOU SIGN THE RELEASE. JOINT RESPONSIBILITY. REMEMBER?

Am I wrong here? If you, as PIC, don't think you have enough fuel for the intended operation would you call dispatch and request more fuel or would you just b!tch at dispatch as this "captain" did?

If you don't know this already, we can't accurately plan for taxi times. We can't predict taxi and deicing times or delays to the minute.

91.3...'nuff said

-mini

Sounds like a DRM/CRM thingy!!

I would respond to the captain with a "lets work together" note and keep each other informed message....even a radio call might be called for. He needs to be reminded that we (DX) need to know what fuel he added or was over fueled so we can maintain our part of 121.533....

Especially this time of year, Like the effects of extra fuel weight with MELS's or runway conditions etc....depending on the situation I might even leave a tie-in to the boss so he can speak to the CP about the importance of working as a team and the safety factors we are responsible for.....

What of this guy took on the extra fuel, and was near or at MTOW and he had a MEL with a weight restriction or worse the runway was slightly contaminated with slush or snow and his release weight was planned lower to account for these conditions....now he's on the roll and has a V-1 failure and runs off the end of the runway....cuz of the extra weight added after the release....

alot of explaining to do with alot of people, just because of communication....

Good luck....

Last edited:
can anyone ever point to an ntsb report blaming 1/2 of the blame on the dispatcher?

a contributing factor was the ground.

Ha ha

mmmdonut said:
You did a fine job. Now ACARS me some football scores and shaddup!

Get your own scores. And don't call me to find your sh!t you've left on your last airplane. I'm not ESPN and I'm not Lost and Found. You shaddup, biotch.

RVSM,

It isn't that easy here. This place is a classic "us against them" operation. It's a constant p!ssing contest between the PIC's and the dispatchers - they yell, moan and complain constantly. We get to deal with it daily on the phones.

Don't mean to whine about it but this place is a completely different scenario every day.

Oh Yea, the record is full of dispatchers getting in trouble and having to answer to the NTSB and FAA...The AA Little Rock accident comes to mind....

Unfortunately, in sever accidents where the crew in not around to answer, the DX is in the hot seat....and better have the answers...

405...I certinaly understand where you are coming from, I have had the same thing happen in the past airlines I worked for....

CitationLover said:
can anyone ever point to an ntsb report blaming 1/2 of the blame on the dispatcher?

a contributing factor was the ground.

Yep, it's mentioned

CitationLover said:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20001212X18961&ntsbno=DCA99MA060&akey=1

As a dispatcher I can't make you, the PIC, fly into +TSRAGR and LLWS. You do that yourself if you are the PIC. You have ultimate control and command of the aircraft, not me. I can only advise you of what I see and advise of what course I THINK would be the best in a specific scenario.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back