Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ac_dispatcher said:

Honestly can you please answer my question:

What does the term "joint authority" mean to you as CPT?

I will try with sincerity.

Simply put it means we share the responsibility for the safe operation of the flight and must agree on the relevant decisions.

It does NOT mean that I "control" you or that you control me (which is what you appear to be saying). We work together based on the concept that "two heads are better than one." (A concept that is not always correct).

There are lots of blacks-and-whites in the rule books. In the real world things are mostly gray. It just happens that a dispatcher's world has a much more limited scope than a pilot's world. That's just reality and has nothing to do with superiority. This should not be a struggle to see who will be "king of the hill".

In the example of fuel load that you chose to select, your scope is limited to agreement on minimum fuel. If I feel I need more fuel, for whatever reason, it is not logical for you to deny it merely because it does match your min fuel calculations or your computer generated flight plan. I know what my maximum weights are and will not exceed them. Of course I will "tell" you that I'm taking on more fuel and most probably why but I won't be asking for your permission. If you attempt to refuse it merely because it doesn't match your idea of what you think I need, that's nonsense. If it turns out that the fuel I think I should have would exceed weight limits, then I will off-load cargo or passengers to get the fuel I need and remain within the limits. That is not your decision nor is it your authority. Your "authority" is limited to "agreeing" that I don't leave with less than the minimum, which it is our joint responsibility to see that I have.

Another example you gave relates to MEL items (or CDL). Again, you have no real "authority" in this area. You have a responsibility to include those known items so that I am informed of what you know but, it is both my responsibility and my authority to reject the aircraft if I don't feel it should be operated today with that MEL item. That is so regardless of whether or not you think its OK or you don't. I do not require or need your "approval" to make that decision, nor will I ask for it.

In the event of a diversion, as another example, when you see what you feel is a need for me to divert, you inform me. If I agree, I will divert to the location that you recommend. If I don't feel I can agree with your recommendation, I won't be arguing with you, I'll just inform you where we are going and when we expect to get there. When I see a need to divert, I will chose the location and inform you of my intent. If you agree, fine. If you do not agree, you recommend a different alternate. I might go along with that or I might not. If I don't, the aircraft will go to the destination of my choice, regardless of your "authority" or "agreement". You will be informed of the decision I have made, after which you may do whatever you think best.

If you are a "good" dispatcher you're worth your weight in gold. I will recognize that in short order and you will be thanked for your much needed assistance. At the same time you must understand that I will never relinquish command of the aircraft to any dispatcher, or for that matter to any CP or DO. Your scope does not include the authority to overrule my decisions. If and when the CP or the DO decides to overrule my decisions as captain, if the aircraft is on the ground, they will be invited to exercise the privilege of their own certificate and assume command. I will exit stage left. If the aircraft is already in flight, they can punt and we'll deal with it when I get back to base. If they want to discuss it (on the ground) and convince me, I will listen respectfully but the decision will be mine alone. There is no case that I can think of in which your "rules" automaticall surpercede my rules. In most cases our "rules" (regs.) are the same.

As a dispatcher, while the aircraft is on the ground, the only "enforcement" available to you is denial of a release. That is the limit of your authority, period. Think long and hard as to the reasons for which you make that decision. The fact that you don't think I need more fuel, ain't good enough. You're more than welcome to ask me why I want more and if its me personally, you won't have to ask because I'll tell you. If you respond with "NO", I guarantee you that the extra fuel will be on board before that airplane departs with me in the cockpit. You're welcome to call the CP if you wish but that will change absolutely nothing. Professionals do not make such decisions arbitrarily. If you got an answer of "Because I wan't it" that's immature, but there's probably another side to that story.

As I tried to tell you in the previous post, this is not a game. I respect your position, I think it's necessary, and I will always treat you like the professional you are supposed to be until you prove that you aren't. The instant you attempt to take command of the flight your switch will be moved to the OFF position. If you deny a release arbitrarily then you'll have to deal with the outcome as you see fit.

These are all extreme situations and they will not occur unless one of us is exercising his a$$hole factor on that day. I expect you to take pride in your work and to do a good job. I don't mind if you're assertive as long as your give the same respect that you expect in return. However, your "authority" ends where mine begins, and that's the aircraft's entrance door. Respect is not something that either one of us is "entitled" to, it must be earned. You begin by respecting yourself and follow up by treating others as you would like to be treated.

You give me the impression that you're a relatively "new" dispatcher recently out of school. If that is the case, I understand your concerns even if I'm not happy about how you write them down. If that is not the case and you are seasoned, then I do think you're on a power trip that you can't possibly win.

Now all that long winded explanation is the CRM/DRM. Unfortunately in the real world, I seldom have the time to go over all of that. In the final analysis you must come to understand that, in the real world, no respectable airline is going to undermine the authority of its Captains in favor of the authority of its Dispatchers. IF you decide to force push to shove you may win one or two battles but, you will lose the war.

I hope that meets your approval and we can each avoid the emphasis on our respective "authority" or lack thereof. That's better CRM/DRM than a contest.

Your willingness to discuss the issues is much appreciated.

surplus1 -​

your post had great effort and thought into it. Thank You. I will attempt to respond likewise.

From reading your postings you first come across to me as a Captain with a GOD complex.​

--Let it be known that is NOT meant as a flame its just a comment based off how your postings came across to me.​

You give me the impression that you're a relatively "new" dispatcher recently out of school.
No sir - my DXR license is dated in the 1990's and my ATC is dated in the 80's.
Simply put it means we share the responsibility for the safe operation of the flight and must agree on the relevant decisions.​
But for the rest of the post attitude is “you have no real "authority" in this area.” and fail to include anything about agreement.
The end of your post I caught this:​
we can each avoid the emphasis on our respective "authority" or lack thereof.​
Is it authority we are talking about or is it better to say concurrence?​
There are lots of blacks-and-whites in the rule books. In the real world things are mostly gray. It just happens that a dispatcher's world has a much more limited scope than a pilot's world.
You know I agree with you. I live in a box at work. I have every manual and terminal access you could imagine. The stream of data at my fingertips is staggering. But for the most part Dispatch is black-n-white. It takes a good Captain to take the time to explain what is going on to make a great Dispatcher.
In the example of fuel load that you chose to select, your scope is limited to agreement on minimum fuel. ..... Of course I will "tell" you that I'm taking on more fuel and most probably why but I won't be asking for your permission
Actually the fuel load I gave was based off current and forecast conditions, and holding time table charts for that airport. I "REQUIRED" him to advise me of the fact for paperwork and performance concerns. I will admit the term "REQUIRED" may have been harsh. You know the maximum weights and will not exceed them - Sorry that has not been the case in the past with me with some Captains Ive dealt with. If you "Tell" me you are taking more fuel and don't state why I will ask you why. If I don't agree with the reason I will tell you so and why.
Another example you gave relates to MEL items (or CDL). Again, you have no real "authority" in this area. .... I do not require or need your "approval" to make that decision, nor will I ask for it.​
I must disagree with you here. It is my responsibility to include MEL/CDL items but it is also my responsibility to stop all nogo items prior to releasing the flight. That is one of the items that is REQUIRED to be checked by the DXR. Frankly you may never know I hit the nogo button. It is my responsibility to catch the nogo item a require it to be fixed or the plane swapped for a capable one. The MEL/CDL list IS part of the "Joint Authority".
In the event of a diversion, as another example, when you see what you feel is a need for me to divert, you inform me. If I agree, I will divert to the location that you recommend. If I don't feel I can agree with your recommendation, I won't be arguing with you, I'll just inform you where we are going and when we expect to get there.....regardless of your "authority" or "agreement". You will be informed of the decision I have made, after which you may do whatever you think best.​
I have never told a Captain where to go (location on a map that is). If a flight is requested by the powers that be for you to divert I am the first stop. I don't need to call you up so you can tell me that the only runway is closed or that you are WAY overweight for that runway. If I agree that the request meets all Regs and guidelines I will THEN call you up and ask you your concurrence. If you say no I will have options at the ready. I will ask why, not because I doubt the Captain - it goes back to the concept of "what have I missed." The concurrence is not "authority" or "agreement" - it is because if an amendment or Re-Release is needed "concurrence" (Joint Authority) must occur.​
If you are a "good" dispatcher you're worth your weight in gold. I will recognize that in short order and you will be thanked for your much needed assistance.
You guys never know how much a "Thank You" means to the Dispatcher. Even more a letter to your CP or DO. As of command - Its all yours I'm scared to death of flying (remember I was an ATC). My scope does not have the ability to "overrule" just non concurrence.​
As a dispatcher, while the aircraft is on the ground, the only "enforcement" available to you is denial of a release.​
True. If I dont agree the flight is legal and safe the release will not have my name on it.​
You're more than welcome to ask me why I want more and if its me personally, you won't have to ask because I'll tell you.​
I would thank you for telling me. To by very frank you would be shocked at the number of times the answer is "Because I want more" or "Its not MY money thats being wasted"​
If you respond with "NO", I guarantee you that the extra fuel will be on board before that airplane departs with me in the cockpit​
Thats your call. If my numbers said no and you rolled down the runway - Good Luck.
As I tried to tell you in the previous post, this is not a game. I respect your position, I think it's necessary, and I will always treat you like the professional you are supposed to be until you prove that you aren't.
I tried to convey that I take my work personally. I call them "My Flights" because I have a responsibility to conduct myself with due diligence. Im sorry based from what Ive read I don't agree that you respect my position. Seems the common thought on the Dispatcher is its a "Necessary Evil". You give the appearance to me that a good dispatcher does not question you. Hence my CRM question.​
These are all extreme situations and they will not occur unless one of us is exercising his a$$hole factor on that day.​
Been there, done that :)
Now all that long winded explanation is the CRM/DRM. Unfortunately in the real world,....​
True about the Company. I asked about the CRM because I want to know what your response would be if a Dispatcher told you he/she thought you were wrong. Are you able to take a step back and reevaluate your decision? Are you able to admit you could be wrong?​
However, your "authority" ends where mine begins, and that's the aircraft's entrance door.

Was that the only time in your thread you talked about my authority?

Let me get your take on this if I may:​

The Captain and Dispatcher must concur on all aspects of the Release. That is one of the major parts of "Operational Control".

Once the "Joint Authority" concurrence has taken place its the Captains final authority on all the phases off the flight conducted under his command that are not covered by the release. If an event takes place that requires the release to be amended then "Joint Authority" concurrence must again take place.​

When you land your release and mine should look identical. If something changed you have the time and my initials to prove that concurrence was completed.​

When you hit VR - I then go into Flight Follow mode. Until the need for an amendment arises.

Again my reply is NOT ment as a flame. So please no not take it as such.

General comment:

The Dispatcher is NOT in place to serve the Captain. He/She works TOGETHER with the Captain under their Joint Authrity (Operational Control) for a safe operation.

405 said:
I got this ACARS message from a crew tonight:
Am I wrong here? If you, as PIC, don't think you have enough fuel for the intended operation would you call dispatch and request more fuel or would you just b!tch at dispatch as this "captain" did?

If you don't know this already, we can't accurately plan for taxi times. We can't predict taxi and deicing times or delays to the minute.

"Request more fuel?" As PIC, you put on the fiuel you need and then tell dispatch. It's your a$$ on the line.

Latest resources

Back