The Marquis Effect on NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

holden1

I thought this topic deserved a separate discussion area. The more I read and hear, the more I am surprised about it. I'm not the best business mind in the world, but something is not adding up.

Does anybody have any idea how much extra time the Marquis program is putting on NJA aircraft? I had an owner ask this curious question the other day.

It seems to me that if a full fraction is 800 hours, the only hours beyond that on an a/c in the NJA program would be for positioning time. However, with the invention of the Marquis card I am hearing that there are more and more hours being put on each NJA a/c because of the Marquis program.

Anybody know anything about this? Is this legit?

I suppose a few more hours. But think about it, how much more time can you squeeze out? In nine years of Netjets flying we're not much busier than we were back in 96. I was flying even more the first five years. But switching airplanes and seniority helps. We've always been flying the pants of the airplanes.

holden1 said:
I thought this topic deserved a separate discussion area. The more I read and hear, the more I am surprised about it. I'm not the best business mind in the world, but something is not adding up.

Does anybody have any idea how much extra time the Marquis program is putting on NJA aircraft? I had an owner ask this curious question the other day.

It seems to me that if a full fraction is 800 hours, the only hours beyond that on an a/c in the NJA program would be for positioning time. However, with the invention of the Marquis card I am hearing that there are more and more hours being put on each NJA a/c because of the Marquis program.

Anybody know anything about this? Is this legit?

I don't know, but it is amazing that they can use someone else's asset to make money for themselves and not share the wealth with the asset's owner. If I owned a condo with some other people and the property manager decided to rent it out when we weren't there and didn't get our permission and didn't give us any of the money or pay for the extra wear and tear, I'd be pissed.

Ace

Don't they limit selling time on aircraft designated as "core" aircraft? Those being the ones they company actually owns.

NJA had over 40 core aircraft but sold half of those because of the demand for shares. In our interview briefing they said that was a mistake and now they were looking to buy some new core airplanes.

I've heard The Marquis company owns the equivilent of 50 NJA aircraft and then sublets those shares out to their card holders. It gives people a chance to get a taste of private jet aviation without having to buy a share and pay monthly fees. A 25 hour card for the Ultra runs around $110,000. A Falcon was 2 or 3 times that.

Marquis

Despite all of the experts on the board, each of whom has never been wrong, I believe that Marquis actually purchases shares and then divides its time up amongst the Marquis holders. The ownership is held in the name of a financial instituion which provides financing the Marquis. You will not see "Marquis" as the owner on a a/c ownership search. However, because of the manner in which it is done, the flight need to be run as 135 and not 91k flights. NJA is not just "selling charter time" to Marquis, Marquis actually owns shares (held in a banks name who provides its financing). However, a Marquis 1/4 for example gets a lot more frequent use than a normal owner whose use may be spread out.

Fly safe.

Thank you for bringing some rare wisdom to this board and thread. It is basically a remarketing agreement taking it to smaller shares than NJ wants to take it.

So Marquis purchases fractions and then provides them to Marquis Members under 135, right? What is a Marquis NJ a/c is not available for a flight leg - do they then leverage a non-owned Marquis NJ aircraft? I have to believe that this is going on....

Thanks for the replies on this....interesting discussion.

Latest resources

Back