SWAPA Info packet FEDEXed to all AirTran Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AAI pilots,

Boy you guys sure are spinning this well...I am a 10 year SWA FO and if all your CPs keep thier seats and obviously are senior to me and are getting the big raise under the SWA CBA what have I gotten out of this acquistion and why should I agree to it?? True as Ty Webb likes to say "I lose nothing" but I also gain nothing? Why should the AAI pilots get all the gains?? Doesn't seem like the AAI guys want to share their windfall with their new SWA brethren. The Fair and Equitable standard also protects the SWA pilots I believe?

MP,

AAI a riskier bet, for sure, but one could also argue it was harder (not saying that SWA pilots are any better aviators) to get on at SWA than AAI...don't the SWA pilots deserve to share in the "spoils" of this acquisition or do only the AAI pilots gain??

In your brain perhaps. But in the brains of others they perhaps look at AAI being the riskier bet which paid off, if you were hired 7 years ago. More risk equals bigger reward or bigger loss - in this case it turned into reward.

What? That's the most bizzare arguement...so now you are actually admiting a windfall by the Airtran pilots...you took more risk (or possibly couldn't or didn't get hired at SW-not you personally MP), and now you deserved to be rewarded handsomely with the SWAPA contract that you had nothing to do with? Ahhhh, okay.

RF

AAI pilots,

Boy you guys sure are spinning this well...I am a 10 year SWA FO and if all your CPs keep thier seats and obviously are senior to me and are getting the big raise under the SWA CBA what have I gotten out of this acquistion and why should I agree to it??
"Obviously" senior to you? That's not the only scenario. What happens if an agreement/award comes out that is close to Date of Hire but fenced the operation for 3-5 years while Southwest grows?

The CA's keep their seats, but when the fences come down, everyone is in their proper place on the MASTER seniority list for the remaining 15-20 years of your career, everyone in that seniority range has a CA seat, and we truck merrily down the road where no one is "upside down" in seniority.

Just a thought.

As far as why should you agree to it? Simple. You rolls the dice you takes your chances. If it's not an absolute windfall list for our side and is fairly close to where negotiations were at when they sent it to the panel, my bet would be that GK asks you to live with it for the good of the other 30,000 SWA employees and the shareholders.

Pushing your CEO to lose hundreds of millions of dollars pulling the "nuclear option" ripcord if it totally screws the majority of your pilots for years to come is one thing (and he very well might). Asking him to do the same thing for something that's close to what the negotiators were pushing for might be something else altogether.

Lear,

Let's agree to stay on topic, the AAI pilots will receive IMMEDIATE gains as per the SWA CBA. In your DOH/Fence scenario I on the other hand gain nothing...in fact I must wait until the fence protections go away to achieve the benefits of seniority my longevity allows???? I gain nothing while the AAI pilots gain a great deal... the AAI pilots, in good faith, should want share the gains and risk of this aquisition...

I have never advocated a staple and you and I both agree that the we have no idea what Mr Kelly or a panel of arbitrators will do...

To start with, you probably need to realize that you're not actually having negotiations. It's probably easier to see from the outside looking in, but you better realize things pretty quickly.

To start with, you are an utter tool. Crawl back under your bridge troll.

Lear,

The "roll the dice, takes ur chances" comment is construed as "give us what we want or an arbitrator will take it...more subtle but still just as much a threat as the nuclear option...I think the arbitrators will ask the same questions I am asking...

AAI pilots,

Boy you guys sure are spinning this well...I am a 10 year SWA FO and if all your CPs keep thier seats and obviously are senior to me and are getting the big raise under the SWA CBA what have I gotten out of this acquistion and why should I agree to it?? True as Ty Webb likes to say "I lose nothing" but I also gain nothing? Why should the AAI pilots get all the gains?? Doesn't seem like the AAI guys want to share their windfall with their new SWA brethren. The Fair and Equitable standard also protects the SWA pilots I believe?

Actually my friend you will lose something. Given the demographic differances between the groups your relative seniority will deminished for the rest of your career as you are put behind a younger AAI pilot group.

Last edited:
Plus, growth at a bigger company requires more airplanes to see the same relative gains in seniority. Growth from this acquisition is not guaranteed. I don't see it happening at all. GK is so caught up in his 15% ROIC before growth that I don't believe that we see any growth until he leaves or that metric is dispelled.

Latest resources

Back