Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sucks to be you, Dicko

No more "good times" huh ...... :erm:

Weren't you trying to show me how much more money I'd make ? That's your reasoning for the "But what do I get out of this" argument isn't it.

Cheer up Bud. I've still got something to look forward to. Your real personal culture. The one outlined in red.

Thanks again for the packet.

Dicko- And then make another 75 to 100K when you upgraded to Capt again, for the rest of you your career!!

yup, really sucks to be you..

BD32

I see your point. Really I do. Unfortunately nobody can set that in stone. The loss will be.

I'm willing to keep an open mind though.

Dicko-

So it's fair that a 7 year AI Capt keeps his seat who gets to fly with an 11 WN FO who also keeps his seat.

Makes perfect sense, after all, the SWA FO isn't harmed at all, right?

Got it.

Thanks, and again very sorry for your 'loss' and misfortune.

BD32

I wasn't trying to "show" you anything, Dicko. And I certainly wasn't trying to make an "argument". Just giving my take on the info package. I'm afraid you've misconstrued the whole idea of "culture" at SWA. Family comes first, and you're not family.....yet.

Just to educate you a little.

Yeah, thanks for the "education." :laugh:

Generally category and class has to do with type of airplane and seat position. It has nothing to do with longevity. ALPA will have an opportunity to negotiate your longevity with a negotiated deal. Absent a deal SWA and SWAPA will negotiate all items for you. For example; pay rates, fence agreements, longevity, probation and so on!

Now, here's some real education:

"Craft and class" is a term in labor law that deals with bargaining units for labor groups. For example, an NMB certification of a union at a particular airline might say something to the effect of "the craft and class of cockpit crew members of XYZ airline," meaning that the union has been certified by the NMB to represent anyone who is a cockpit crew member at that airline (captains, FOs, flight engineers, checkairmen). But, the RLA does not allow two unions to represent the same craft and class, which is different than the law under the NLRA.

So, taking it to the next step. When the NMB certifies a union to represent a craft and class, it is a legal certification that gives that one union the sole rights to negotiate anything at all for that craft and class. You can't go in and negotiate your own separate contract, and likewise, another union can't negotiate something for you. Only the union that is certified by the NMB may negotiate anything for that craft and class.

Therefore, in order for SWAPA to negotiate anything for the AirTran pilots, including longevity, SWAPA has to be certified as our bargaining representative first. And after SWAPA is certified as our bargaining representative, SWAPA has a duty of fair representation (DFR) under the law to us. That DFR obligation prohibits SWAPA from taking any action that would be considered "arbitrary, discriminatory, or in bad faith." So, anything that would serve to single out the AirTran portion of the pilot group for disparate treatment from the rest of the SWAPA membership would be a violation of SWAPA's DFR obligation.

SWAPA has good legal representation, so I'm sure they know better.

Bingo! :bawling:

Acting like you're entilted to all of our stuff without giving anything is a pretty richard move too.

:cartman:
The wings of welcome packet SWAPA just fedex me showed me everything I will be entitled to "IF" we merge. Our two merger groups are discussing what it is we will be giving up. Let's just hope things happen sooner rather then latter.

Dicko-

So it's fair that a 7 year AI Capt keeps his seat who gets to fly with an 11 WN FO who also keeps his seat.

Makes perfect sense, after all, the SWA FO isn't harmed at all, right?

Got it.

Thanks, and again very sorry for your 'loss' and misfortune.

BD32

How did you get that out of what I said ? You're making some huge assumptions about what I think.

I do not feel unfortunate. In fact I feel very fortunate. That includes SWA. You and I made different choices years ago. Both of them were good. Just don't expect me to make the same choice as you would now.

I made one point, and it was about my pay. As the situation stands today.

Cheers,

Pure Genius!

Maybe AAI ALPA will send a FEDEX package to my house to explain the losses I can expect as a result of the acquisition.

I think that's a great idea! In fact, you guys should retire to your neutral corners and conduct all future negotiations via FedEx.

We appreciate the business.;)

Latest resources

Back