SWA yes vote:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crash Pad

So I'm sitting here thinking what would it take to get a yes vote from a SWA pilot. So I pretend I am one. Lets say they hand me a list and I move down 1 number. I would vote no.

Why vote yes? Nothing changes in my world. So it goes to arbitration... Now I move down say 10 numbers. I would file lawsuits and pull a USAir. Nothing changes in my world.

I would then hope that someone gets fed up with the situation and just makes Airtran go away. If not, eventually we merge ten years down the road and I move down a couple numbers.

In this short thought exercise I discovered that you couldn't possibly get my yes vote... Let alone 50%. So with that in mind how does it end?

Pilots with integrity don't "pull a USAir". NW/DL found the formula: make the arbitrated list effective immediately upon receipt. I'd expect nothing less from SW/AT.

It needs to end with a negotiated agreement.

How about it goes to abritration, then it's time to negotiate all the other intangibles on the AAI side. Things like 717 payrates, fences, and even things as simple as a probation period, and it goes on and on. After the SLI comes out from the arbitor, who gets to decide these things?

Does the simple posting of an ISL by an arbitor panel automatically cause SWAPA to pull a USair move? I don't think so. There are alot more moving parts than that.

RF

So I'm sitting here thinking what would it take to get a yes vote from a SWA pilot. So I pretend I am one. Lets say they hand me a list and I move down 1 number. I would vote no.

Why vote yes? Nothing changes in my world. So it goes to arbitration... Now I move down say 10 numbers. I would file lawsuits and pull a USAir. Nothing changes in my world.

I would then hope that someone gets fed up with the situation and just makes Airtran go away. If not, eventually we merge ten years down the road and I move down a couple numbers.

In this short thought exercise I discovered that you couldn't possibly get my yes vote... Let alone 50%. So with that in mind how does it end?

And you worry about AAI pilots ruining the SWA culture! Great attitude.

with the age and senority of the SWA NC...being very young in age and relative senority on the SWA list, I can't see them throwing their own careers away...So I am not worried about the outcome.

It needs to end with a negotiated agreement.

How about it goes to abritration, then it's time to negotiate all the other intangibles on the AAI side. Things like 717 payrates, fences, and even things as simple as a probation period, and it goes on and on. After the SLI comes out from the arbitor, who gets to decide these things?

Does the simple posting of an ISL by an arbitor panel automatically cause SWAPA to pull a USair move? I don't think so. There are alot more moving parts than that.

RF

Like I said I can't think of a negotiated agreement that can get 50% yes on the SWA side.

You maybe right. I'm hoping something can be worked out, but my crystal ball is a little fuzzy. Maybe we should all just go with the classic...Magic 8 ball.

RF

And you worry about AAI pilots ruining the SWA culture! Great attitude.

Easy there OldMan,

I think many of our pilots, particularly after reading last week's NC Update, will support a negotiated deal that is presented to us for voting.

How many times and how many ways will it take for you WN guys to back off the SLI talk, like YOUR union leadership thatise negotiating your future asked?

Not one to chime in often, but this deserves one. Love all this talk about SWA culture from a bunch of guys who have not a single clue what SWA culture is. Remember this. SWA is probably one of the best companies out there to work for. They respect their employees, treat them well and pay them well. I love working for this company. They are not that way to their competitors. They are ruthless with a smile. For the Airtran guys to think we will simply roll over and give you everything you want goes against our nature. Remember. Just because you are owned by a SUBSIDIARY of our does not make you a SWA employee, nor does it automatically make you entitled to what we have and have earned. This will not go to arbitration. We will do our best to make this as palatable as possible. We want all of you to be happy...truly. Mark my word. If you push this too far it will end before it goes to an arbitrator and we will all be at a loss. This airline has teeth. Don"t let ALPA, who knows you are gone the second an agreement is reached convince you otherwise.

Latest resources

Back