Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Stagnation through 2013? Sasha unable to get upgrade??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

Southwest says capacity growth unlikely into 2013
Southwest Airlines likely to hold off on expanding passenger capacity into 2013
Tuesday September 13, 2011

DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines Co. said Tuesday that it is focused on boosting earnings after buying rival discount airline AirTran, and that it is holding off on expanding its fleet because of the weak economy. Southwest's purchase of AirTran earlier this year boosted the Dallas company's passenger-carrying capacity by about 25 percent. But now consumers, hurt by high unemployment and the recent turmoil in financial markets, may cut back on leisure trips.

September bookings "look good at this point," said Southwest's Chief Financial Officer Laura Wright on Tuesday at an investor conference in New York. But she cautioned that the airline often is late to feel the effects of an economic downturn.

Southwest has "a pretty cautious outlook," Wright said. She suggested that a freeze on growth in passenger capacity would last even longer than the company had previously predicted. "We aren't growing on a (capacity) basis as we look into 2012 and likely 2013," Wright said. "But we have a huge opportunity to grow our earnings associated with that 25 percent increase in size that we've just digested."

Southwest had said in August that it expected passenger capacity to be flat or slightly down in 2012 from 2011 levels. If other airlines hold the line on capacity that could limit seats and push up fares. Southwest collected $56 million in extra revenue in July and August, Wright said. Many airlines lifted fares after federal excise taxes on tickets expired. By raising prices to match the amount of the expired taxes, the airlines got more money but consumers paid the same total price for tickets. The taxes were restored last month.

Southwest stock rose 35 cents, or 4.4 percent, to close Tuesday at $8.31. Other airline stocks also surged as carriers, including Delta Air Lines Inc.

Stagnation. Looks like not only Delta will be slowing down the growth. 25% growth in size? That must be the addition of AIRTRAN. Sounds like they won't just park every plane and take a loss, and instead they are counting on revenue from that addition. Throw in possible arbitration with the AT guys, and there could be some frowns out there, including Sasha, who may never get that upgrade. He is probably wishing he were back at Eastern, and thinking about the time he upgraded on the Connie and then the DC-6. Those trips from Key West to Idlewild must have been fun for him, and being the CP of the New Amsterdam base was thrilling probably. I wonder if he thinks about all of that while running (literally RUNNING) around the plane in ELP on the quick turn to Austin?

Godspeed!

OYS

Last edited:
Sorry, there's more.........sorry Sasha

Southwest shares downgraded by Raymond James
Southwest Airlines downgraded, Raymond James analyst cites lack of strong growth prospects

Monday September 12, 2011
DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines Co. was downgraded Monday by financial-services company Raymond James. Analyst James D. Parker said Southwest faces higher costs in the second half of the year while other airlines are likely to grow faster. He shaved 20 percent off his estimate of Southwest's 2011 earnings.

THE SPARK: Parker downgraded the shares to "Market Perform" from "Outperform" and said 2011 earnings would be 40 cents per share, not 50 cents per share.

Parker said Southwest shares aren't expensive compared to those of other low-cost airlines, and the company might be worth nearly double its current share price if it were broken up.

"However, we cannot identify a catalyst to unlock this value or a reason (Southwest) would outperform, especially against airline stocks that have greater growth prospects," Parker wrote in a note to clients. The analyst said he could change his mind if Southwest showed signs of surprisingly strong benefits from May's acquisition of AirTran Airways, another low-cost carrier.

Recently, there have been signs that demand among leisure travelers is softening because of the weak economy and uncertain outlook. Last week, Southwest announced that its passenger-carrying capacity next year will be flat or lower than in 2011.

Dallas-based Southwest's revenue per mile of flying rose 6 percent in August, an improvement from 1 percent in July and 5 percent in May. However, the Raymond James analyst said he had expected better and also said that jet fuel costs were tracking higher than he predicted.

SHARE ACTION: In a mixed morning session for airline stocks, Southwest shares were down 15 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $7.91. In the past year, they've ranged from $7.81 to $14.32.Southwest shares have fallen about 40 percent in 2011, compared to a 30 percent drop at industry leader United Continental Holdings Inc. But Southwest shares have declined less than those of competitors Delta Air Lines Inc., JetBlue Airways Corp., US Airways Group Inc. and American Airlines parent AMR Corp.

Godspeed to you guys and an eventual recovery!

OYS

OYS, I've been posting about stagnation at Southwest post-acquisition for a few weeks now. Does some hack at AP have to print it before you understand that Southwest pilots will lose money due to the acquisition of AirTran?
So how does this harm to Southwest pilots' careers factor into your integration assessment? Or do you not consider this to be negative for Southwest pilots, in spite of your gloating on this thread?

OYS must have skipped out on math class in high school. Let's see..

SW - flat growth in 2012 = ZERO
DL - reduction of 5% = -5%

I think 0 is greater than minus 5%.

Oh, and as far as the SW stock price? I just doubled down my employee stock purchase. Great time to pick up some inexpensive shares of LUV, add to my 500 shares. I think OYS said he owned 5 shares of DAL! Haahaaa. Funny stuff buddy...

And of course...GODSPEED, d*uchbag.

RF

OY6 = jackass. God speed dumbass.

OYS, I've been posting about stagnation at Southwest post-acquisition for a few weeks now. Does some hack at AP have to print it before you understand that Southwest pilots will lose money due to the acquisition of AirTran?
So how does this harm to Southwest pilots' careers factor into your integration assessment? Or do you not consider this to be negative for Southwest pilots, in spite of your gloating on this thread?

SWA pilots better talk to GK, because he is the one who decided this would work. In the DL/NWA merger, DL and NWA pilots got a payraise in the joint contract. Why didn't SWAPA ask for one? How about stock? Everyone on the property got at least 3000 shares, with senior guys getting up to 3600 I believe. At one time that stock went to $14, which is not bad if you sold back then. This is SWAPA's fault, not the Airtran pilot group. And as OYS continually brings up, everyone signed that Process Agreement, so they know what they got themselves into. If not, time to get even better lawyers.

And Andy, why slam OYS? He posted an article for god's sake. Did you know the economy was going to go bad or fuel was going to hit the roof? (it's actually come down quite a bit since mid-Summer) When GK decided to acquire Airtran, things may have been better economically, but things change. I think SWAPA thought they could just roll over the Airtran group, and that doesn't seem to be the case now, does it? Who's fault is that?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
OYS must have skipped out on math class in high school. Let's see..

SW - flat growth in 2012 = ZERO
DL - reduction of 5% = -5%

I think 0 is greater than minus 5%.

Oh, and as far as the SW stock price? I just doubled down my employee stock purchase. Great time to pick up some inexpensive shares of LUV, add to my 500 shares. I think OYS said he owned 5 shares of DAL! Haahaaa. Funny stuff buddy...

And of course...GODSPEED, d*uchbag.

RF

That -5% includes RJ parking. There have been some route reductions for this Fall and Winter, but that coincides with airplane MODS that have to be done on certain fleets, getting lie flat seats, and AVOD (video at each seat). That was the real difference. There will be some DC9s going to the desert next year, but used MD90s from China and Japan will be coming into the fleet also (about 25 I hear). Those actually will pay the pilots more per hour over the DC9 too.

As far as stock goes, do you have a DC fund? The DL pilots get 14% of what they make each month into a seperate fund in their own names, funded by DL. That is above your own 401K you can contribute to. So, OYS makes whatever he makes, and then gets 14% of that also into a seperate fund, plus whatever he contributes on his own.

Bye Bye---General Lee

As far as stock goes, do you have a DC fund? The DL pilots get 14% of what they make each month into a seperate fund in their own names, funded by DL. That is above your own 401K you can contribute to. So, OYS makes whatever he makes, and then gets 14% of that also into a seperate fund, plus whatever he contributes on his own.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Man you guys would be hosed if it weren't for the thousands of inferior delta connection pilots subsidizing your paychecks...

Latest resources

Back