• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA operating expenses higher than competition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you are stupid. Its just that a lot of people complain about our system, and really don't appreciate the "goods" that come with it. Being the last to board a full flight does stink. Although our system LF is lower than any other major.

Thanks for assuming I am an idiot. Our schedules change so fast that the company (NJA) buys tickets (not jump seat) less than a few hours prior to departure. I have the link to check in on my phone but still get stuck in the last group about 80% of the time. It rarely matters because all the flights are usually packed. I must attract the jumbos or its the last seat open.

I am not singling you out. Riding on any of the airlines is the worst part of my job. You really don't realize how bad it is until you have to do it a lot. It was different when I worked for the airlines. I couldn't do anything about it so I sat quietly and bit my lip. Then again we had first class and usually sat there.

I'll make you a deal. I'll take the laxatives if you wake up and smell the coffee. Most of your pax just want to get it over with they don't really enjoy the SWA experience. Sorry that's JetBlue. I am not bitter or even upset. I am mostly just very uncomfortable. Can sitting in a slammed full 737 cause constipation?

I'll take "slammed full" a/c over empty ones that end up in the desert due to Ch. 11 or 7.

The low cost advantage delivered $93 million in profit for the quarter on strong revenue generation. Interestingly, the companies average seat revenue is now the highest in the industry. The company has managed to generate revenue at least 5% higher than any other major airline per seat in the US. The average fare at SWA to go 800 miles is now $142 the closest competitor AA, is charging $139 on 800 miles. The big question is when will the public catch on?

The low cost advantage delivered $93 million in profit for the quarter on strong revenue generation. Interestingly, the companies average seat revenue is now the highest in the industry. The company has managed to generate revenue at least 5% higher than any other major airline per seat in the US. The average fare at SWA to go 800 miles is now $142 the closest competitor AA, is charging $139 on 800 miles. The big question is when will the public catch on?

Source?

I think you're taking a snap-shot that dilutes RASM based on a specific segment length.

What's funny is that a SW pilot is ragging someone else about pay. Let's not forget you guys flew for less than everyone else for THIRTY YEARS. Now for 3-4 years the legacy's have all taken enormous cuts that left them below you and suddenly you are negotiating tough guys??

give me a break.

I think you should compare apples to apples. A maxed-out SWA driver has traditionally made less than a maxed-out legacy driver. But shouldn't that be the case when you compare 737 pay to 747 pay?

SWA, however, has been among the highest paid for 737-size aircraft for a long time. Now we just happen to be among the highest paid regardless of aircraft size.

It would be asinine to assume that we will always be at the top of the industry payscale, but it is reasonable to assume that the pay will remain stable. None of this "huge raise/huge paycut" stuff you see at other airlines. It is really hard to plan your life that way.

Latest resources

Back