• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OPIE01

Coffee Break is over!
All I want for Christmas is a Southwest Class,
a Southwest Class, a Southwest Class.
Gee, if I could only have a Southwest Class,
Then I could wish you "Merry Christmas."

Spoke with LL the other day and she mentioned that Training department was going to meet real soon to discuss classes for newhires. What a great Christmas present that would be to hear about classes starting early Jan and that I am in one of them.

Hi Opie,

"she mentioned that Training department was going to meet real soon to discuss classes for newhires.".

.....Anyone?...Anyone?....we're all looking for any amplifying information. Latest rumor from these boards was February to accomodate new checklist procedures. We're all hoping for that "fairytale" call around Christmas advising us of January start dates. It'll be great when we finally get this show rollin' :)

Checklist and new hires

Hey all,

Just got back from a 2-day. Nothing special except that we had a senior check airman from SAN to AUS. Here is some of what he was telling us that he has heard or personally confirmed on this subject.

New hires to start in January.

The checklist thing is not a limiting factor for starting new hires. He said that was more union (damm SWAPA) driven than company. He said that there is a complete rewrite of the Flight Ops Manual and Reference Manual and that these rewrites are what will drive the new checklists. He also added the new checklists were not too far off what we do currently.

Hang in, it will come,

Slug

From chief pilots briefing last week at EPT. Classes to start on Feb 16th and go thru July. Take AUG and SEP off then start again in OCT. I'm sure this is all subject to change as always.

Bake

Aren't rumors fun?

The latest (but not the last) out of the Chief Pilots office.
There will be a small class of 10 new hires in mid-January; followed by a class of 24 pilots each starting in February until June, then the class sizes will be 20 pilots each for the remainder of the year. The possibility of a new crew base still exists for the later part of 2004/early 2005; LAS, BNA, TPA are still the strong contenders...
Rumor also has it that the Company has been down in South America looking for more aircraft to buy or lease: further hiring in late 2004 can be expected if aircraft deliveries are obtained.

That is the latest boys and girls. Hope it helps some.

:)

737dude writes

Rumor also has it that the Company has been down in South America looking for more aircraft to buy or lease: further hiring in late 2004 can be expected if aircraft deliveries are obtained.

Great....All we need now is that lowercur guy to say "I told you so!!"

:D

Either way, I am packing my bags for Dallas, Plan to be there in Feb.

aj

Dear PoolRats,

I feel that it is necessary for me to come out of "retirement" to say a few words to my former pals in the pool.....

There I was, (no sh!t) last Wednesday, Nov 5th.... at FL370, looking out the window of the canyon blue 737, on my way to SLC. The last leg, of the 1st day, of yet another 3 day...

This was a great day for me, exactly 6 months ago on this day I had just finished my first day of new hire class in DAL. My wife and I were sitting in our room, enjoying dinner and discussing the day's events. Our #1 reflection was how lucky we were to be there.

Three weeks prior to May 5th, there were rumors that SWA may not continue classes for 2003. My number on the Flightinfo pool showed that I was really close to being in the next couple of classes..... what IF??... what IF?? The reality was, the company had 2 more classes, and here I am.

So what's my point!?

One thing that each and every one of you PoolRats has in common is that you have passed the interview, and the background check(s) and have been extended the offer of a future class date. The fact that SWA has choosen you to be our future pilots is a pretty big deal.

Relax. No really..... take Flightinfo off your favorites list, don't look at the rumors until Jan. Give it a break!

Enjoy the upcoming holidays, spend time with your families, work on your hobbies, finish that house project your wife wants to see completed, hang out with your kids, read a book, go hiking.... whatever you do, please realize that your fretting and gnashing of teeth is not going to make the future change. You are just creating unessesary stress in your lives.

Classes will start again, you are more than welcome here, trust me, EVERYONE wants to see you "on property" a.s.a.p.!! I personally can't wait to end my commute to OAK, and I am not alone.

This is, and I am pretty certain, will continue to be the best job I have EVER had. I can't wait to share that feeling with a few thousand more lucky people!!:D

As is said on almost every flight from one or both of us up in the pointy end of the plane.... "sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride..."

Happy Holidays!

Tred
CEO(retired)
Pool Rat, Inc.

If they are down in South America looking for planes to buy or lease, let's hope that someone has some 'previously owned' 737-700s that they are willing to part with and not some EMB 'not an RJ' RJ, just so we won't have to here more of the

awwwwwwkkkkkkkkk

Look for the Order

aaaaaawwwwwwwkkkkk
from lowecur.

(borrowed from OakRBust, a former poolie)

aaaaawwwwwwwwwkkkkk

Down in South America looking for planes to buy or lease. Can you imagine that?

Well AJ, I won't say I told you so until it happens.

Remember Firstthird - look for the order!

Look guys, just be happy that this could mean a major expansion for SWA. More jobs, higher stock price, and a excellent company again will be a "growth company." Not stuck in neutral.

Latest resources

Back