• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA LGA Captain Fired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Conspiracy Theory Alert: she was fired "prematurely" by the company so that the union can argue due process was not given and she gets her job back and the company and union pass the insurance/customer/membership smell check...

I'm sure. All of the FOs on her no-fly list must be drowning their tears in Champagne.

Reminds me when I was a new hire F/O at (CVG commuter (they were called commuters then)) I was with a notorious female CA. On a low vis approach we broke out and she lined up with the left rwy edge lights. I said: The centerlines to the right; she slid over and landed. Now a little flustered she forget to use reverse (only the brakes). I was soon on her "no fly list".

Bubba, your dress is just as pretty! And your shoes match your purse perfectly! Do you feel better now?:D

We have all learned a lot from accident reports, they are a great learning tool. So it seems to me it would be a bigger mistake not to let all airline pilots in on what happened. I'm guessing your disgust is how the media will handle the info and twist it into a story.

What part of the recording should be available to the general public? Should it start at the before push and go all the way to the incident? What may be a learning tool for pilots is dirty laundry for the media.

What part of the recording should be available to the general public? Should it start at the before push and go all the way to the incident? What may be a learning tool for pilots is dirty laundry for the media.

I sympathize with our lack of privacy. And you're right, it is a slippery slope. My guess is, it won't be long before we have video recording the cockpit. And I agree it is wrong. I don't like it. But, as a group we are powerless to stop it. Unlike Lawyers and Doctors we have no guild or national union. The future is not bright for our collective privacy at work.

Sure, I'll write my congressional and local union representatives to make it known I do not support such measures. But, it will be piss into the wind.

This case is different, and we should take a look at it. We have a problem pilot. Unique and not the majority. But, every airline has its 10 percenters. Hence your "Bid Avoidance" list. From what I hear the He/She was pretty high up on it. This is the real issue. I have heard comments like "Honey Badger", "Man-Hater", in reference to this captain. Why was this tolerated?

Last edited:
Why is the f/o getting training? Are they going to train him how to wrestle the controls from the captain at low altitude? I'd hope SWAPA would be fighting that before worrying about the captain's job. Of course all of this is speculation as the NTSB has not finished their investigation yet.

Standard procedure!

Conspiracy Theory Alert: she was fired "prematurely" by the company so that the union can argue due process was not given and she gets her job back and the company and union pass the insurance/customer/membership smell check...
So she can continue being a BA CA? Doubtful. My conspiracy is she is gone for good.

Chicago and Burbank were accidents......this was willful disregard of procedures.....a conscious choice.

I shouldn't speculate though until the investigation is complete. Did the FAA revoke her license or give a 709 ride? Good question which may leave her high and dry for the company having no choice.

Chicago was tough

Burbank... ?? Crossed the threshold with the flaps blown up so...
That's where her case will be...what was the process and final decision with them. Albeit, Burbank is why we have the go around culture we do now.

As for "bid avoid"

I don't believe in it. And what happens when you do it, or call in- I get not wanting to put your own ticket at risk- but we need strong FOs to fly with these pilots, not reserves.
That's just how I feel about it. Somebody has to fly with them, why shouldn't I share in the pain and do what I can to make sure the airline's safe. Unless you think more incidents like LGA are good for your long term career

Don't know about SWA but at my company, I've seen guys (and gals) come back after some pretty bone-headed incidents. Three things that will get you fired on the spot are lying, trying to cover up the incident, and having history (behavioral or operational) which might suggest a possible recurrence.

I'm thinking there is more than "just" a landing incident at play here.

Latest resources

Back