• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Hiring...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like Spirit? You could double down with a Las Vegas base. Who's ready to gamble?

Some guys will always take the safe road and pick Pan Am, Braniff,
Eastern, TWA over a gamble on a fast-growing, profitable airline like
Southwest.

I think It's more of a gamble to bet on airlines, that have no growth or
are shrinking, based on retirement numbers.

Regionals have taken a huge share of mainline flying, they may take more.

I think there is a great possibility that SWA may hire tons of pilots in the next few years as the bottom 1/3 of their list starts weighing current options and considering the 3 legacy airlines as they themselves start to hire TONS of pilots due to huge retirement numbers. The bottom 1/3 probably sees lack of upgrades for a decade or more, stagnation, wages coming up at the legacies, fewer Lubbock and Midland layovers, if any, at the Legacies, and actual variety in trip types/routes/and planes. Some people don't care about flying different sized planes to different cities domestically or AROUND THE WORLD, primarily because they have "seen that already in the C-130 back in the 80's." They are a clear minority, though. So, if you really want to fly for SWA, maybe you will get your shot in the next few years, and if places like Lubbock and Islip interest you, then that is the place to go! Good luck!

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL,

You are just an a$$hole. What a waste of life.

Oh come on! Don't get mad. Look, many of your bottom seniority guys may look at the 3 legacies hiring and decide movement at any one of the 3 biggies may lead to a better QOL. Is that SOOOOOO WRONG? And, what a waste of life? Really? Are you taking this THAT seriously? You really need to relax a bit.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Word.

A real dick.

Wow. Ouch. Come on, you two really need to chillax a bit and not take this too seriously. But, what I did state was true. There could be some quick advancement opportunities at all 3 legacies when each retire 5,000 pilots in 10 years. I don't think your airline can say the same, there just aren't that many retirements scheduled over there. Word to your mutha.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So the GL is basically saying a SWA FO making ....$140K+.... with lots of days off and really fun crews, are going to leave to work at places like DL, UA, AA where the pilot groups have been miserable and militant for years. FLy with 60 yr old grandmas' and go to the bottom of the seniority list to start at $40-50K and not see $140K for years... Doubtful.. Unlike the General, many people have families to feed and bills to pay, which SWA seems to provide for rather easily

There's more to life than destinations and type of a/c....

General Lee is correct. The Legacy carriers are retiring large amounts of pilots in the next few years. SWA is not. What is wrong with them leaving SWA and going over there??? Nothing is my answer.

right up to the point that they furlough again. It will happen. We are in an "up " cycle where they are going to start hiring like gangbusters. fog a mirror and your in. Then economy ********************s and guess what, you're on the street. Much like the "peak oil" guys. They will be back.

So a$$hole,

How many of those bottom third do you predict to leave for other airlines?

I don't know, a lot? Thanks to the AT merger and the relative age of that collective group, unless there is huge growth, stagnation may set in. Since you will have only one plane type eventually (737----until you get 787s and A350s??), when one Captain retires, one FO moves up, and then one newhire comes on board. That really isn't a lot of movement, especially compared to the legacies where one top guy leaves and 9 people move up the chain. That is what makes MORE money for legacy pilots, each upward movement pays MORE.

So, when all 3 hire at once, I predict a lot of your guys will be looking at the possibilities, and since wages are going up and better contracts exist, they may jump ship in droves. Stability thanks to consolidation also helps a lot. Almost TOO BIG TO FAIL.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back