SWA commute question??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fighterdude

Can anyone please answer a question for me....
If a First Officer lives in Dallas but commutes to his domicile in Houston....How hard is it for him to hop on a flight.?? I know thereis a lot of frequency, but what about availability? thank you in advance....
poolie

Should be zero problem.

Not sure about the loads but there are two cockpit jumpseats on 98% of our airplanes and there is also the fourth flight attendant seat available for any company employee. You shouldn't have any problem at all.

Are those jumpseats reserved for SWA pilots or can any airline pilot jump on them? I think SWA has first come first serve policy for jump seats and not seniority number. Is that true? I hope to eventually work my way to Houston and commute from New Orleans.

Thanks
Les

The actual cockpit jumpseats are for SW pilots only....everybody else has to sit in the back. The fourth F/A seat is a possibilty....but it's not exactly the best (I did it from BWI to LAS,could barely walk afterward). The jumpseat is first come,first served but if you're gonna be doing that MSY-HOU commute alot then the gate agents will get to know you and will hold a JS form for you if they know you're coming(hint:list yourself that way you're in the system!).I really would'nt worry though,we have like a million flights a day between those two cities either NS or connex though DAL!

About 20 flights a day or so about every half hour between HOU and MSY. So when this patience pays off and I finally get the call to start and pay my dues in Oakland and slowly work my way back I'll be flying for the best airline and with a very short commute! WOW I am loving life! Thanks for the tip about the JS form - I plan be a regular there at the gate to commute when I fly the line!

Les

Oakland

Another tip DAWG.....I don't know how true this is (heard it though the SWA grapevine,you'll get a connection when you start here)but....I heard that the Cust Serv. and Ops people in Oak-Town are not (how can I say) nice to commuters,pilots and F/As. Maybe because they have so much of them but we have a ton of them in BWI and I'm always helpful because all the pilots and F/As have helped me when I was non-revving somewhere. Like I said in another thread....just be careful what you say and how you say it.....don't want to see a probie F/O get in trouble because some gate jockey was having a bad day!

Probation year I think we all will treat as our flight up to interview in Dallas! Smile , dress well, be nice, when other people are jerks, suck it up and find a positive way to go about your business. Too much good to risk like you say if one bad apple can spoil your day / career!

Les

Sierra Hotel,

I think what you heard about OAK people is a huge generalization. You get what you give. If you have your paperwork done, show them your ID and a smile you'll get great service.

I commute in and out of OAK and have for over 4 years and have never had a problem there or anywhere else for that matter.

OAK-Town Customer service agents/OPS

SIERRA-HOTEL:

I second what dhampton stated. Our entire class and the class behind us was sent to OAK and everyone has been most cooperative and shown the LUV. The Customer Service Reps will bend over backwards to get commuters home and scheduling works well with you on your last day of reserve.
Oakland is a good base with awesome operations coordinators. Amy and Lisa will take great care of you when you first show up. All of the crews I've flown with out there have been super. The only down side of OAK is a very limited number of crash pads. Many of us have managed to find a roommate most nights to split the hotel costs.
I think you will also enjoy the trips we fly out of OAK. Just follow the "Golden Rule" when you show up and you'll do just fine.

HERKDriver

Latest resources

Back