Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swerpipe

My Favorite Customer
Went to the Air Inc conference at LAX this weekend. The People Department made some surprising comments regarding the interview process and March interviews during the presentation and also during the brief talk at their Kiosk:

1. Do not stress about the Line Oriented Interview. We just want to see what you do at your office everyday. How you interact and how you solve problems. Show us how YOU do it.

2. Many of the March Interviewees were "over prepared". By that they meant that answer to questions were over-rehearsed and too polished. "We know that you have conflicts in the cockpit, that there are sometimes problems with maintenance, that the weather isn't so perfect, that everything is just not so perfect. We want to know the real you. We want to know the real you and if there is a wall between you and us that can not be broken, the candidate will not be hired."

3. We assess your ability to be a Southwest leader by your ability to be yourself while relating your experiences as a Captain and not by showing us your qualifications on a resume. We are not interested in hiring Mr. Perfect.

4. The percentage of folks hired in March was "lower than expected. We were a bit dissapointed". Better qualified folks did not result in a higher hired percentage.

5. Folks should hang in there, the process is just starting. Be patient.

6. Some of the people that went to interview in March will go to class in June.

This is to the best of my recollection and I am not trying to put any personal opinions on what I just wrote. At 3400 TT and 1950 turbine PIC, aerospace engineering degree and experience, the Captain told me my time was "a bit low". He also told a Part121 driver that his TT was bit bit low at 5500. Both of us were typed at HPA.
I think this underlines the type of fierce competition currently in progress to get an interview slot at SWA.
My speculation is that at some point they will have to interview more or stop classes if they are not hiring more than 48 people per month.
All this aside, I am so in Love with Southwest and look forward to the opportunity of interviewing.

Last edited:
Swerpipe,

Thanks for the info. Did they say anything about "jet" time vs "turbo-prop" flight time?

Competition is tough! (5500 hours a bit low)

ADG

Both of us were typed at HPA.

?

Does it matter where you got your type? I don't think they care. But what is the word on the street?

juan

turbo prop vs. jet time

To be specific, that was the comment of the particular Captain, not necessarily the official position of the People Department. Obviously, I take his opinion very seriously. To put it in perspective, many SWA pilots have gotten hired with less than 3400 or 5500 TT and 2000 PIC turbine. What we have is a more competitive environment. I think that eventually, if patience doesn't kill you, you will get a call. Be ready. As far as jet time vs. turbo-prop time, I know jet time is better but more importantly keep flying. Where you get the type rating?, it certainly doesn't matter. I met a bunch of really cool guys at the conference. It's always great to meet people facing the same preocupations, dreams and frustations as I am facing. A lot of talent out there...

Last edited:
Juan to go

Says who? If there is anything that I brought with me from the conference is that competition is tough and that the wait is probably going to be longer than many of us expected. Of course, I hope I am wrong and you are right. Thank you for the encouragement. I certainly hope that people in the know respect the aircraft as much as we do.

Competition is tough. And although preparation is important, attitude is everything. Your comments from the people dept. prove it.

juan

2. Many of the March Interviewees were "over prepared". By that they meant that answer to questions were over-rehearsed and too polished.

In a post a while back I mentioned this exact issue. It is not be taken lightly. Be prepared but relaxed and not canned. As pilots we have been trained to believe that there is not such a thing as being over prepared for a ride. It can be difficult to hold the reins back abit when our approach to preparation has been so deeply instilled in our souls. Try not to let the fear of the unknown drive you to over prepare. When I interviewed people that appeared to be over-rehearsed I felt like I really didn't know them.

Good luck to all.

SWAdude:cool:

I remember it

SWAdude,

I remember your post and actually thought about it when I heard the remarks, you were and are still right.

Typed applicants interview time.

H have heard from a SWA/FO friend of mine that they have around 600 apps on file with the type AND meet all the minimum qualifications. At the current rate of monthly interviews, he claims that the word at SWA is that ALL apps with types AND the minimums will be interviewed by this fall. Any comments on this?

Latest resources

Back