• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA changes in the works..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would guess that in the next week or so there will be a few phone calls about your status as well as any paperwork that may need to be updated..

After that I would say all those in the first two classes in 2003 will be called no later than the first of December due to the holidays verifying class dates..

Look for the official Chief Pilot call making the formal job offer no later than two weeks out from your class date..

But...then again... there is the famous "how quick can you get to Dallas?" phone call we all luv..:cool:

SWA class review?

Hi y'all!
Sounds like Happy Days are Here Again at Southwest!
Does anyone know how long ground school will be? It's been a long time since I got my type rating and haven't done much with a 737 sim except for the awesome Greatest Airliners 737-400 sim for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. I have been flying for the reserves in my P-3 squadron to keep monkey and instrument skills alive, but I'm going to have to hit the systems books hard before SWA class. I figure they'll know we might be rusty from the long pool swim, but I want to have my systems ready to go. Also I got typed in the -200, so do they teach us the differences for the 3/5/700 as well as their operations procedures?

How 'Bout Them Dawgs!

Les

Re: SWA class review?

UGApilotDAWG said:
haven't done much with a 737 sim except for the awesome Greatest Airliners 737-400 sim for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002.

I don't think they teach the -200 anymore but that may have been a temp thing. If you are going to fly a 737 on your PC try one of these I found on a website. Great graphics.

http://virtualswa.com/fleet.asp#NEW

To those getting ready for New Hire Class @ SWA ... a few points of interest:

1) the base aircraft for class is the 300/500. Hit the books hard ... and now !!!!
2) the 700 is taught as a variant.
3) the 200 is still taught, but unless you are based in DAL or HOU or opt in (you'll learn what this term means when you get to class) you won't fly it.
4) Memorize the cockpit preflight early and KNOW !!!! your callouts.
5) It's better to read 'ahead'. You'll think I'm joking when you see the reading assignments. Personally, I spent the entire first weekend reading (stayed in DAL).
6) Buy some flash-cards only after you have finished the final exam. It's important to know where to find the answers in the books.
7) Don't be creative ... in other words, don't bring your own preflight techniques to GS. Learn it SWA's way. You'll be confused at times, frustrated other times and sometimes just plain pissed off ... take a breath ... remember how fortunate you are to be where you are ...
8) Trust your instructors ...
9) There are line FO's in the school house all the time ... if you are really getting wrapped around the axle ... grab one of them and ASK for help.
10) Know the difference between technique and procedure.

Good Luck ...

How do we read ahead?

Where can we get the reading assignements? How does the course compare with others we might have taken? Is it similar in scope and pace to our types? Military UPT,RTU?
I'll be coming back from "an undisclosed location" and I'm flying something about as different from a 737 as you can get without being a boat. There is a good chance I'll go straight to class with no opportunity to study, is that going to be a problem?

Hey that virtual SWA site is pretty incredible. I get lots of info from it, but I still like the Dreamfleet 737-400 for all the switches and autopilot and true to life engine starts and everything. Guess I am going to have to start getting back into the flows and systems to be ready for class - after a vacation on a warm sandy beach somwhere wasting away again in Margaritaville!

Hey PSL-
thanks for the thorough info on class prep. If I got type rated in the 200 is it that much different to study up on the 300? Also I know it's been a while , but are all the new hires going to be on a one way bus to Oakland, or is there a chance of starting anywhere else? Either way I'll be thankful to be flying for SWA!
Les

As far as your 200 type and it's ability to translate to the 300 ... no problem. I did my type in 1980 something in the 200 basic ... that airplane was three years younger than me !

The major differences are obvious ... the CFMs on the 300/500/700. The 300/500's have two different pressurizations system controllers. The end result is the same, but the operation in manual mode and normal setup is different. Should take you 20 mins to figure this one out ...

The A/Ps are completely different on the 200. Can you fly cross cockpit ? If not ... and you fly one of our 200s ... you will learn how to while in the FOs chair. Again ... maybe a few legs until you are comfortable. One 'gotcha' on the 200 is it WILL NOT CAPTURE AN ALTITUDE ON A/P. This one will wake you up in a flash if you forget !

Tell the captain you are a newbie and they will nurse-maid you if necessary.

Each of our series have a different 'hands on' feel. If you came from heavy transports, the 700 will be familiar. If you flew TPs or tactical aircraft, the 200 will have the same feather touch ... Personally I like this one the best. The 300/500 have a feel all their own ... a little nose heavy for my liking.

And one think is true of all of them ... it's very difficult to go down and slow down. It's nearly impossible to do it in a 200 if you are in moderate freezing precip due to the engine limitations.

Next Question ...

As far as I know ... OAK is junior and has been for 6 months. There are FOs in PHX, OAK, MDW trying to get to BWI so it might be a while if you want to come east.

BWI will be getting some more long - hauls soon ... Personally I'm hoping for BWI-SEA / BWI - SAN / BWI - OAK ...

SL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back