Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and CAL B737s...why the six pack on the NGs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BillJBrake

Seems like its taking a step backwards, no? Why not take advantage of te benefits of the tape style data in the PFD?

Is this just some attempt to reduce training costs or differences training from the Classics or old EFIS birds?

They haven't had that display for about 2 years now.

But it was originally done so that the FAA would allow us to fly the 200, 300, 500 and 700 without making separate lines of 700 only flying.

Last edited:
So the SWA NGs are all tape style MFDs now? Thanks. Based on pics it seems like ex-CAL planes are still using the 6pack style.

CAL's are all still 6-pack. Heard that Boeing wants lots of $$$ to flip the switch in the E&E compartment for us to go PFD/ND.

But it was originally done so that the FAA would allow us to fly the 200, 300, 500 and 700 without making separate lines of 700 only flying.

i thought this also, but what has changed so now we can fly round and tapes? did the faa actually use some common sense or did boeing tell swa to get with the times and they were putting tapes in the -7's forward?

i've yet to find anyone who can answer this, i think it's the latter more than the former. but i'm pulling that outta the air.

For Southwest, the 'getting with the times' was driven by going full up automation for RNP/GPS approaches. I don't think the round dial presentation can be altered to show all the data you need for those approaches. Just my guess.

We were even going to 'glass' the 300s, we came close, but in the end with the age of the aircraft it didn't make sense. It's been scrubbed.

I don't think the Feds are thrilled that we are flip flopping back an forth between round dial 300s and the non-round dial 700s, but maybe they are letting it slide with the retirements of the 300s. Again, just my guess.

ATA had 26 ( ? ) 737-800's all PFD/ND.

The geniuses decided we needed 3 737-300's from the desert that United had abandoned.

We flew both the Round dials and the PFD/ND.

No problem with the Feds or anyone else.

Oh, except ATA required everyone to go to training for those 3 aircraft for ADF/NDB training...Because the 800's didn't even have the damn things installed.

I guess deactivating/removing 3 ADF's in the 3 airplanes that had them would have been too expensive. (?)

I still haven't figured out why they went bankrupt...

:)

Last edited:
For Southwest, the 'getting with the times' was driven by going full up automation for RNP/GPS approaches. I don't think the round dial presentation can be altered to show all the data you need for those approaches. Just my guess.

We were even going to 'glass' the 300s, we came close, but in the end with the age of the aircraft it didn't make sense. It's been scrubbed.

I don't think the Feds are thrilled that we are flip flopping back an forth between round dial 300s and the non-round dial 700s, but maybe they are letting it slide with the retirements of the 300s. Again, just my guess.

That's not accurate.

We did the RNAV RNP stuff while still flying 300/500/700/800/900/900ER at CAL. (300s went away back around 2009, still have 20-30ish 500s)

CAL still currently uses the round dial presentation and are able to do all the GPS and RNAV RNP approaches. CAL is merely not willing to spend the money to change the software to the "speed tape" type presentation.

CAL doesn't have any HUDs in its 737s like SWA does.

Latest resources

Back