• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully to the rescue again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't disagree more. As a third generation airline pilot, you should know that majors don't hire the "best of the best". They hire by internal recommendations. The majors have more applicants because they pay better but that doesn't mean they get the cream of the crop of those applicants. When I worked for a regional, I saw plenty of pilots get on with the majors who were horrible pilots with crappy work ethics while the respected pilots got shot down time and time again. I also saw guys with connections get hired with bare bones minimums while guys with 10,000 hours couldn't even get an interview! It's who you know, and nothing else. If you want to stroke your own ego then keep believing.

sadly, this is very true. I really wish this wasn't the case.

so if it was on Fox, it would have been more true? eh?

Here we go again......another leftwinger with Foxphobia. Of course you and your ilk never ever admit that Fox,talk radio and the Internet is the only outlet for a contrary opinion. The Barry Hussein worshiping press is alive and well at CBS,NBC,Abc,PBS,NPR,and virtually every major newspaper in the U.S.

Here we go again......another leftwinger with Foxphobia. Of course you and your ilk never ever admit that Fox,talk radio and the Internet is the only outlet for a contrary opinion. The Barry Hussein worshiping press is alive and well at CBS,NBC,Abc,PBS,NPR,and virtually every major newspaper in the U.S.

not left or right... just smart. I get my news from all sources and take it with a grain of salt.

not left or right... just smart. I get my news from all sources and take it with a grain of salt.

FMS.....1
Inline...0

Funny how people think a station that comes up with an "alternate" version of the news is a good thing. Wouldn't you have to twist the truth if you want to come up with an "alternate" version of the news?
I remember when the news was just that and there wasn't so many people out there trying to spin it 24 hours a day.

There are a lot of very experienced, professional and dedicated pilots at the regional level as well, I think it is a disservice to cover all pilots working at the regionals (not by choice in many cases, mind you) with the same blanket.

There are a lot of very experienced, professional and dedicated pilots at the regional level as well, I think it is a disservice to cover all pilots working at the regionals (not by choice in many cases, mind you) with the same blanket.

It's not so much the pilots as it is the system that they work under. The corporate culture, the resources, the budget of the major airline training machine can't be matched by the commuter airline.

What Dumb and FMS said. Obviously the Regional pilots are highly skilled. They operate in and out of the smallest, worst equipped airports and in and out of the largest terminal areas in all kinds of weather 365 days a year.
I think what Sully is saying, is the Regional airlines don't operate at the same level of safety because of the constant need to undercut each other to bid on flying. The don't have the same level of training as the larger carriers, their pilots don't get the same level of crew rest (Mesa pilot's sleeping on the airplane? wtf) and it is an entry level flying job so they do get a lot of very low time pilot's sitting in the right seat.

What Dumb and FMS said. Obviously the Regional pilots are highly skilled. They operate in and out of the smallest, worst equipped airports and in and out of the largest terminal areas in all kinds of weather 365 days a year.
I think what Sully is saying, is the Regional airlines don't operate at the same level of safety because of the constant need to undercut each other to bid on flying. The don't have the same level of training as the larger carriers, their pilots don't get the same level of crew rest (Mesa pilot's sleeping on the airplane? wtf) and it is an entry level flying job so they do get a lot of very low time pilot's sitting in the right seat.

Dan, just wanted to take this opportunity to agree with you. :) as an ex commuter and regional pilot, well said- though some of the real large regionals have excellent training, many don't and any money they spend on it is a liability come the next contract- so safety on the training end is debatable- the schedules are not- they were ridiculously unsustainable at every commuter or regional I've flown for

This! That's what I meant when I stated I disagreed w/ Sully. ASA has excellent training, but I understand not all regionals have excellent training also.

This! That's what I meant when I stated I disagreed w/ Sully. ASA has excellent training, but I understand not all regionals have excellent training also.

Got it, ASA rocks.....now how do I schedule my flights to ONLY fly ASA as my Delta subcontractor in the future?

Latest resources

Back