• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sudent been flying ILLEGALLY - Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't your instructor make an endorsement, both on your student pilot certificate and your logbook prior to each cross country?

jergar999 said:
Doesn't your instructor make an endorsement, both on your student pilot certificate and your logbook prior to each cross country?

YES!!!!! But how does your remark help me in the least????? My instructor screwed up!! I Screewed up!!! Looking for possible fixes.

first off, relax. give that exclamation button a rest...it's annoying. with the replies you've gotten so far, you should realize it's not your fault. it should be a quick-fix. just go back to or call your medical examiner. tell him the problem and see what he says. i let my 90 day endorsement expire when i was a student pilot. what did i know? instructor should've kept track of it. relax. no more exclamations. and try to keep your spelling errors to a minimum. best of luck

starvingcfi

Even if you get a new student cert. You may have to be re-endorsed. (I think) Talk to the DE. See what he/she recommends and just call AOPA for a quick reference. It really doesn't matter who's fault it is, but realize that you may have to jump through some hoops till it's done. I don't think it is a really big deal to begin with. FAA won't check until your taking your ride, (unless your ramped). By then you will have a new student cert anyway. right? So you have time to jump those hoops and do a song and dance to boot.

Good luck.

No worries and let it flow.

"It's always easier to ask forgivness than to ask for permission."

Probably not on the certificate. The certificate endorsements are one-time only per make and model for regular solo and one-time only for cross country.

It's the logbook endorsements that repeat every 90 days for general solo and once for each cross country flight.

It's certainly possible for a CFI to miss checking the certificate. It's a little unusual for a pilot to not complete the private requirements within 2 years. But it's still sloppy.

Re: 90 days

de727ups said:
A student pilot certificate, as you now know, is only valid for 90 days. I see no problem with this rule as student pilots should be working closely with a CFI and having the student get a signoff every 90 days is supposed to accomplish this...that's the idea behind the rule, I think.

I wouldn't take this to a DE or the FAA. If you fly beyond the 90 day limit then you violated an FAR. Find another CFI who will fly with you and get you a new sign off, then you will be legal to continue flying. It would take a pretty sharp DE to bother going through your endorsments to the point of seeing that your student pilot license had expired and then you continued flying. Even if he caught it, you are legal at the moment and would probably not make a big deal out of it. Don't ever tell the FAA.....

Umm a student pilot certificate isn't valid for 90 days, solo is I believe (don't have the FARs with me). A student pilot cert is valid for 24 calander months (plus the what is left of the month is was issued on).

Get a new one from the FSDO, if a DE notices that you were flying with an expired cert (unlikely) explain that both you and your instructor didn't notice it. When you did you stopped flying solo and promptly went to the FSDO for a new certificate.

Re: Re: 90 days

Umm a student pilot certificate isn't valid for 90 days, solo is I believe (don't have the FARs with me). A student pilot cert is valid for 24 calander months (plus the what is left of the month is was issued on).

Essentially correct. The differences between certificate and logbook endorsements can get confusing.

A student pilot certificate expires 24 calendar months after it is issued.

The solo endorsement that appears on the certificate doesn't have an expiration date. Neither does the solo cross country endorsement that appears on the certificate.

The solo endorsement that is made in the logbook is good for 90 days. The endorsement for each solo cross country flight that is made in the logbook is good only for the flight it refers to.

DE

Good advise all; most De's will be more interested in your flying, decision making and knowledge than your paperwork. then again....I had a DE on my private who wanted to invalidate a bunch of my solo time. long story short, started training in a PA28-181, switched flight schools after first went belly up, started again in PA28-161, got second solo endorse in second a/c (first had expired), but flew some solo time in their -181 as well (actually had more hours in the -181 and ended up passing the checkride in that one).

After he sent me off with my paperwork from my first checkride without even starting the oral, a trip to the FSDO straightened it out and the DE. Passed private in two hours including the oral (no, I won't send anybody to him and didn't go back to him for the three subsequent checkrides I've taken!).

If the DE thinks it is a problem, just go to the FSDO, confess your sins (and more your CFIs...) and beg forgiveness - I agree with Cessna Driver. An Army CPT told me that years ago and it has come in handy many times...

Okam's Razor, and Ollie North...

Go to the doctor, get a new medical and student pilot certificate. The new certificate does not indicate date of previous certificate, so somebody would have to be looking for a discrepency.

If anybody even bothers to ask about the old one, "I lost it", or "it expired", "my dog ate it", "I was on my long cross country and had to take a ____"

I doubt anybody will be looking for a conspiracy, and start asking about dates etc. If they do, "I dont know, I can find that out for you", or in the words of Oliver North and others "I dont Recall".

It's good you are trying to be conscientious, but you (and more likely your instructor) are better off learning from the mistake (especially your instructor), keeping it under your hat, and moving on.

"I lost it" also works with medicals, written lied about (like FE written) etc.

We all have good days and bad days. Have a good day for checkride....

Midlifeflyer: Surprised that you actually knew the rules with respect to the endorsements required for solo flight by a Student Pilot and solo cross-country flights.

After your initial statement: "Question: Didn't your CFI check your certificate any of the last 6 times she endorsed your logbook?" I presumed that you were an ignoramus.

Why would you even state a gender? Your (inital) response would have had credibility if you deleted the gender issue.

Latest resources

Back