Sudent been flying ILLEGALLY - Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gumbo

My student certificate expired in August 2001 and I've done a lot of my solo flying since then (all my cross countries). I just found out that a student certificate has an expiration (one of my instructors told me in the past that it didn't). I renewed my 3rd class medical in August of 2002, but they gave me a white medical (form 8500-9), not a yellow medical-student certificate.

Can I take that medical to a flight examiner and get a new student certificate from him (I'm 3 hours away from a FSDO)? Should I make sure it's an examiner that I'm not taking my checkride with since he'd then know I flew my cross countries and solo time without a valid student certificate? I'll be taking my checkride within the next month.

Another stupid FAA rule - why do student certificates expire as long as you keep up your medical? Are you going to go below age 16 or forget how to speak English or something. But, nonetheless, it is a rule - what do I do to fix the problem now?

Thanks for you help.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The FAA doesn't consider anything your fault when you're a student pilot. Your instructor should be checking your certificates before he or she sends you out solo. What I would do is just find a DE that will issue you a new student pilot certificate. Also, why isn't your instructor helping you with this? If not him then the chief pilot of your school?

I wouldn't hide anything from the examiner. You've done nothing wrong so far, but if you start hiding stuff like this that you're aware of then now your putting yourself in a bad position. I would call up the examiner find out what he or she thinks. I wouldn't go out of my way to get my instructor in trouble, but if that's what happens, then it happenes. Making sure you're legal to fly solo is a very key part of the instructor job that should be taken care of for you.

Question: Didn't your CFI check your certificate any of the last 6 times she endorsed your logbook?

Wiggums, thanks for the info. I just figured this out yesterday and my current instuctor (my 5th) is out of town.

Midlifeflyer, do you have anything helpful to add?

It was definately an instructor fault, but I wouldn't bet on the FAA not blaming you entirerly. I'm sure people have different views on this, but I'm sure the way the FAA sees it is: if you are the holder of a pilot certificate and should know what your priveleges and limitations are, even at the student level. Ignorance of the regs at any pilot level is never an excuse for reg violation. Ultimetely it will be the CFI who's signature endorsed you for solo priveleges throught that time period who will get into trouble, but you might be seen as just as liable, which seems unfair. Any flights you did in that time period wouldn't count and can't be logged. I'd talk to your CFI or chief instructor to see how your gonna handle this situation further.

Do you belong to the AOPA? Now is a good time to join and let them help you out with this. They probably have been through this before so I would consider the $39.00 dues well worth the cost at this point.

sydeseet said:
Do you belong to the AOPA? Now is a good time to join and let them help you out with this. They probably have been through this before so I would consider the $39.00 dues well worth the cost at this point.

I am a member of AOPA. This is an excellent suggestion - I will follow up with them.

Thank you.

Last edited:
90 days

A student pilot certificate, as you now know, is only valid for 90 days. I see no problem with this rule as student pilots should be working closely with a CFI and having the student get a signoff every 90 days is supposed to accomplish this...that's the idea behind the rule, I think.

I wouldn't take this to a DE or the FAA. If you fly beyond the 90 day limit then you violated an FAR. Find another CFI who will fly with you and get you a new sign off, then you will be legal to continue flying. It would take a pretty sharp DE to bother going through your endorsments to the point of seeing that your student pilot license had expired and then you continued flying. Even if he caught it, you are legal at the moment and would probably not make a big deal out of it. Don't ever tell the FAA.....

Re: 90 days

de727ups said:
A student pilot certificate, as you now know, is only valid for 90 days. I see no problem with this rule as student pilots should be working closely with a CFI and having the student get a signoff every 90 days is supposed to accomplish this...that's the idea behind the rule, I think.

I wouldn't take this to a DE or the FAA. If you fly beyond the 90 day limit then you violated an FAR. Find another CFI who will fly with you and get you a new sign off, then you will be legal to continue flying. It would take a pretty sharp DE to bother going through your endorsments to the point of seeing that your student pilot license had expired and then you continued flying. Even if he caught it, you are legal at the moment and would probably not make a big deal out of it. Don't ever tell the FAA.....

Thanks for your advice, but I believe you have misunderstood my problem. It's the Student Pilot Certificate that has expired, not my endorsement to solo (which I fully understand the reasons it expires in 90 days). The Student Pilot Certificate is good for 24 months. The rest of your advice sound good.

When you got your medical, did you state that you had a student ticket already. I believe they ask you whether or not you have a cert. I think you usually have to put down that expiration of last med. or date of last med.

Not sure what to do about it though.

Latest resources

Back