• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stand up for Pappy!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. If you want to complain about these two idiots, do it here:

[email protected]

Tailwinds

Purpledog said:
What a dumb commie sh*thead! Pappy was far from rich and he was part Indian. These liberal schools just irk me. She deserves a "Dirty Sanchez".

I think I'd reap more pleasure by giving her a "donkey punch".

100LL... Again! said:
Radical lefties should be shipped over pakistan where they can be mowed down by ak-47 wielding muslims.

They disparage the people who defend their freedom. emphasis added

As do you with idiotic comments such as your opening statements. Such tough talk from a loud mouth who never served. Hey, here's an idea: STFU

Here's the rest of the story along with a pesky few details that paint the whole picture.

UPDATE -- Seattle Times:

It looks like University of Washington students may find a way to honor the late decorated World War II veteran Gregory "Pappy" Boyington after all.

The student Senate today will consider a resolution to construct a memorial to honor Boyington and the four or five other UW alumni who have received the Medal of Honor. The resolution likely will be referred back to student groups before a final vote next week.

The student Senate caused an uproar earlier this month when, by a one-vote margin, it rejected a resolution to honor Boyington.

The comments from two students in particular made their way onto talk radio and Internet Web journals, or blogs. One said she didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person that the UW wanted to produce, according to minutes from the meeting. Another said that many UW monuments already commemorate "rich white men."

People from all over the country began e-mailing and contacting students and administrators. Unfortunately, there were some misunderstandings, said student government President Lee Dunbar.

"A lot of people highlighted specifically those two quotes, and they used it to frame the entire vote," Dunbar said. "But the reason the vote lost, I believe, was that a lot of senators thought it wasn't inclusive of some other alumni."

Even the two student comments in question were taken out of context, Dunbar said. For instance, the comment about "rich white men" was referring to an issue that has been discussed at length by students and last year resulted in construction of a diversity monument.

UW spokesman Norm Arkans said the university received about 300 e-mails after some blogs urged people to contact the UW president's office. The UW then set up a memorial fund in Boyington's name after some who e-mailed suggested the idea, Arkans said.

As of Monday, the UW Foundation had received $15,745 from 118 donors to the Boyington fund. The money will provide scholarships to undergraduate students who are either Marine Corps veterans or children of Marine Corps vets.

Arkans said that if students pass a resolution supporting a physical memorial, it would come as a recommendation to administrators. The process then would be to find money to pay for it and check with various campus committees for an appropriate site and design, he said.

Boyington, a lifelong Husky football fan, became famous for shooting down a record 28 enemy planes while a Marine pilot. He was stationed mainly in the South Pacific and spent 20 months as a Japanese prisoner of war. His exploits and autobiography were the basis for the 1970s TV series "Baa Baa Black Sheep" starring Robert Conrad as Boyington.

Boyington died in 1988.

Thanks for the update LRDriver. I was kinda "oiled";) when I dropped this post.
But, there's always a time to salute Pappy and the Black Sheep.
Not excluding the unsung heroes!

Dave,

I was pretty pissed when I first heard about it too. As usual though, the complete facts are not always presented when something like this happens. Regardless, shame on that young lady for her foolish comments. She's about as worldly and educated as one of those troll dolls. Maybe she'll figure it out someday. Then again, maybe 100LL will too. (I'm not holding my breath on either.)

At any rate, Semper Fi.

LJDRVR

Last edited:
BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO

I am so proud of those who have had the courage to contact UW and carried this to an appropriate resolution. Would somebody now post a website where we can donate money to the fund? Please, don't let it be monitored by a UW representative. The money should be received in a bank trust account (B of A?) Then members of the USMC should be organized to sort through scholarshiop applications, and to pursue the idea of a statue. If we cannot get it on campus at UW in a suitable place, I know a place that would be perfect and one that I think Pappy would have approved of.

Please, PM me if you need me to help in any way.

Thank you again,
Anne

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back