So.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
Why wouldn't an auto-rotation in a tailrotor failure situation save you?

In most sophisticated helicopters maintaining around 60 knots in autorotation will provide directional control in the event of a tail rotor failure. In the SH/UH-60 the tailrotor is even canted so that tailrotor thrust offsets it's weight should you lose the tailrotor entirely. In the Bell 47/ OH 13 Sioux, the helicopter just spins until impact with a tail rotor failure.

GV

mattpilot said:

Matt, where are you doing your training? I am also interested in getting an add-on in a 47.

Also, does anyone have any time in the Brantly B2 as a primary trainer? How is it compared to the R22 or 47?

GVFlyer said:
In most sophisticated helicopters maintaining around 60 knots in autorotation will provide directional control in the event of a tail rotor failure. In the SH/UH-60 the tailrotor is even canted so that tailrotor thrust offsets it's weight should you lose the tailrotor entirely. In the Bell 47/ OH 13 Sioux, the helicopter just spins until impact with a tail rotor failure.

GV

If your "in autorotation", (the way I understand it) then there should be no power therefore no torque applied to the transmission, therefore no spinning. If anything, you would have transmission drag which will actually tend to turn the helicopter the opposite direction as torque. Looking at your flight time and aircraft flown, you may know something I don't. Did you mean that 60 knots in POWERED flight will mainain some semblence of directional control due to the vertical stabilizer (asymmetric in the Astar) taking the load off the tail rotor.
I've never had one myself. Had a friend lose a tail rotor in an OH-6 while in a OGE hover. He said that it was extremely fast and was on the ground before he knew it. He instinctively got the power out though as fast as he could and hit upright before rolling over.

Last edited:
mattpilot said:

In most everything that I have flown, which isn't much granted, this is the procedure outlined in the Flight manual for tail rotor failures. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually experience a t/r failure in a 47 or any other helicopter for that matter. My co-worker has a lot of time and two engine failures in the 47. Both had successful auto's fortunately.. He worked cattle with them back in the eighties.

f6

Fox6 said:
In most everything that I have flown, which isn't much granted, this is the procedure outlined in the Flight manual for tail rotor failures. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually experience a t/r failure in a 47 or any other helicopter for that matter. My co-worker has a lot of time and two engine failures in the 47. Both had successful auto's fortunately.. He worked cattle with them back in the eighties.

f6

Fox, Is that the Brantly B2 you mention in your profile? If so can you answer some questions about it?

Latest resources

Back