Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mattpilot

Finally! Graphical TFRs!!
What could we talk about to keep this forum going? It would be a shame to see it go again due to inactivity :/ .

How about this question.

I got close to 40 hours in Bell 47's, doing the PPL add-on. When i do the commercial upgrade, should i do it in the R22 or continue in the B47? The B47 has no fancy stuff whatsoever - all 50's era stuff :). The R22 on the other hand will be 'different' to fly, i'd imagine.

Reason to do it in B47 at the moment - i'm familiar with the aircraft.

Reason to do it in the R22 - get some experience in a different aircraft & some more uptodate instrumentation + possible have a better chance at employment do to R22 time & their widespread use. Reason not to do it, would be perhaps because i'll have to spend more time learning to fly a new helicopter thus inflating my Dual time & spending unnecessarily money? Not sure - how hard is it go from a 'normal' helicopter to a 'r22' type control ?

R22 instructor is not really an option, since i'd have to build to much R22 time to meet the SFAR.

ATM i'm thinking about doing 10 hours in the R22 after the PPL to get the PIC SFAR checkoff, then hop on back to the 47 and finish the 10 hours dual required for the commercial.

Thoughts?

Since you are functionally SFAR'ed out of employment in a R-22 without spending $ why not continue in a Schweizer 300 that might be the best for non R-22 marketibility for a first helo job. Or do the 10 hours in the R-22 to see what you are missing then do the commercial in a 300. I've never flown a 47 only 300's and R-22's but I would guess that it wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to get comfortable in a 300. HTH

I've always wanted to get some time in a Bell 47, used to ride in them when I was a kid. I've not flown an r22 for more than about .5, but with the sfar that applies etc. you may be better off in the 300 like the last poster said.

I would like to see this message board make it, it would be a good source for transfer of information etc.

thing is, i can only choose between the R22, R44, and the B47. I'm already lucky enough that 2 schools are in my area. Moving isn't really an option, because i'm currently in a 141 fixed-wing school.

Anyone have any experience going from normal stick to R22 stick? Is it difficult?

Someday you will look back on your 47 time far more fondly than R22 time.

R22 is a trainer, fun to fly, but not nostalgic for sure.

Forget it, you're ruined flying the '47 first. That thing's almost as stable as a Hughey. Think Bumble-Bee for a '47, think Gnat for a 22, think mosquito for a 300.

If you have a local school that you can get a job at instructing in a 47, I would definitely go with the Bell.

just me though

GVFlyer said:
If the Bell 47 has a tail rotor failure it will kill you.

GV

Same will happen in the R22...

The H300C and B47 are great training platforms. I remember when the R22 first came on the market, it was a POS then and it's still a POS today. In low-rotor RPM situation, the 300 and 47 will give you more time to recover unlike the R22.

Some helo pilots swear by the R22. I swear at it... :D

Peace

SF

Latest resources

Back