• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So much herp - Inflight movie = Diversion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SEX/NUDITY 5 - A woman's bare back and long hair is shown bouncing up and down and we hear gasping; the camera moves to show her bare shoulders and then focuses on a man's bare shoulders and chest, as they gasp and bounce, apparently having sex until they are interrupted by a phone call and the woman kisses the man goodbye as he leaves for work (we see her bare thighs below a long T-shirt).

They had legitimate concerns, bad choice of a movie that should have been turned off.

Good riddance... i hope they felt humiliated having been called out over their stunt.

meh meh meh... nudity blah blah blah

Stunt? The parents (IMO, rightly) complain about the inflight movie, seeing that they are stuck in their seats and couldn't just "change the channel". And the captain *diverts the plane* to remove them?

Who's overreacting here exactly?

I'm with you, Blue. My money is on FA exaggeration is the real catalyst to this obamanation.

I can see the point of view of both sides of this.

I'm going to retire as an FO; no desire to be in the left seat again + a career that's been derailed over the last decade. As an FO, I would discuss this with the Captain indepth, looking at this from all angles. However, once the Captain made a decision to divert, I'd make sure to circle the wagons and support his decision, whether or not I had reservations.

We can discuss alternatives but once the decision is made to divert, you have two choices. Support the Captain and the rest of the crew or support the passengers.

I've watched enough inflight movies to know that they're HEAVILY edited from what's available at Redbox. While the movie may be PG-13, it's likely that it's been down so much that the inflight version would be rated PG.

Political Correctness on both sides of the aisle has gone too far and drives me absolutely nuts. (OK, I'm already nuts). I've grown weary of being concerned of offending 1% of society. These people need to travel on Greyhound or a horse and buggy so that they're not offended by inflight entertainment.

Seriously LAME

Just read the article on Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/...ns-over-pg-13-inflight-movie/?test=latestnews

Here are the most relevant paragraphs from the article:

"Alarmed by the opening scenes, we asked two flight attendants if they could turn off the monitor; both claimed it was not possible," the family said, according to The Atlantic.

After some back and forth between the family and the flight crew, the family reportedly relented to the movie being shown and did their best to engage their children to keep them from watching the movie.

"We asked if the captain has the authority to address this issue, but received no response," the family said. "Throughout these interactions the atmosphere was collegial, no voices were raised and no threats, implicit or explicit, of any kind were made. The flight continued without incident, while my wife and I engaged our children to divert their attention from the horrific scenes on the movie screens."

But shortly after that, the captain announced the flight was being diverted to a Chicago airport due to "security concerns."

Yet another PR disaster for UAL in terms of how they treat passengers. This is embarrassing and it was clearly not a security threat - no loud voices, just a request. According to the article, the family had accepted that the movie screen could not be turned off and had done things to distract the children from the "mature" movie content - and then the Captain announced the diversion.

Someone should get fired for this (the primary FA involved is probably the #1 candidate)... Ridiculous! How much fuel was wasted in this situation?

This is embarrassing and it was clearly not a security threat - no loud voices, just a request.

You're taking only the word of the family, for one. Plus, it's being filtered through the modern media, which I've never seen report an aviation story accurately. ("Hours on the runway" sound familiar? "Plunged thousands of feet in turbulence"?)

I'd be very surprised if the pilots pissed away tens of thousands of dollars on a divert for "just a request." There's more to this story, I guarantee it.

I've watched enough inflight movies to know that they're HEAVILY edited from what's available at Redbox. While the movie may be PG-13, it's likely that it's been down so much that the inflight version would be rated PG.

Not necessarily. I watched (or tried watching, anyway; the movie was absolutely lousy) this same movie on another United flight last month.

While I quit watching it due to the absolutely god-awful acting, I did take note of the copious amounts of gore exhibited. Don't remember if the profanities were edited out, but I think they weren't.

If it was edited in any way shape or form from the original, I'd be curious to see the full version.

Well, no not actually. It was quite a terrible movie.

Either way, this movie had as much business being up on the community screen as would have Texas Chainsaw Massacre- none at all.

Latest resources

Back