Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SMS required for operations into Bermuda?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are a commercial operator you have to have a SMS now to operate legally in the EU and other places. The Nov. 18the requirement is for everyone else that operates turbojets. For those of you that don't think this is an issue just try explaining to your boss why you can't fly the airplane out of Nice or Paris because you don't have a SMS. The FAA does not require a SMS because they submitted a deviation to the ICAO rule. If you are flying in a country that does require a SMS and you don't have one, the aircraft is subject to fines and/or seizure.

As far as the requirement to become an IS-BAO auditor, just give it a try. There is a lot more to it that you think. I am one and it wasn't easy.

And if you don't want to use a SMS after you have one, good luck. Try being a professional.

If you are a commercial operator you have to have a SMS now to operate legally in the EU and other places. The Nov. 18the requirement is for everyone else that operates turbojets. For those of you that don't think this is an issue just try explaining to your boss why you can't fly the airplane out of Nice or Paris because you don't have a SMS. The FAA does not require a SMS because they submitted a deviation to the ICAO rule. If you are flying in a country that does require a SMS and you don't have one, the aircraft is subject to fines and/or seizure.

As far as the requirement to become an IS-BAO auditor, just give it a try. There is a lot more to it that you think. I am one and it wasn't easy.

And if you don't want to use a SMS after you have one, good luck. Try being a professional.

We can be fined and the aircraft can be seized after Nov 18th for not having an SMS?

:eek:

You know, because we weren't before some bureaucratic paper shufflers got together and came up with a system to keep more paper shufflers employed. I personally crashed 18 planes before we had our SMS in place. Now I haven't even had one close call since I've became a pro at filling out a risk matrix.

Now which consultant do I send the $12000 check to again?

Just label chapter 2 "Safety Management Procedures" and show that to the inspector! Nobody knows what a true SMS is! Certainly not the inspector in Nice! It's insane. Show him your W&B and a Risk analysis for the trip and that's all they know!!!

SMS again....

What does the November deadline mean? even the clowns selling SMS's for 10-20K and/or 12k/yr cant answer that one..

No, you dont need an SMS to operate anywhere, and likely wont for a long time (or at least untuil the FAA says you do?) - BUT - if you have the time you might as well get one going?

It seems like it will be inevitable, and hell, a thorough risk analysis before each departure will certainly make you safer.

:laugh:
It can be done on the cheap but it takes a whole lot of work. And we found an auditor that only costs $2500 to do an audit. Not so bad all in all.

We are IS-BAO. We just took the programs we developed for IS-BAO and filled them into the ICAO SMS formate, made it into a document that even a Frenchman could understand and put it in the aircraft. Most people probably have the framework already in place for ICAO compliance. I don't see any need to pay someone to do it for you.

Sms

Yes in a foreign country. France is notorious for just that. We had a crew, years ago, and the copilot didn't have a SIC type rating. They couldn't depart France until a type rated pilot was flown over. That was when the EU required SIC types and the FAA didn't. Same will happen for SMS.

Unfortunately the answer is yes. We had a crew in France when the SIC type requirement was in effect for the EU but not the FAA. The airplane was delayed until a typed pilot showed up. The same will be happening with SMS. The EU folks, especially France, are always looking for ways to stick it to "N" airplanes.

I didn't write the rules but we all have to live with them. If you would like to fly to France after Nov. 18th without a SMS and put your airplane and job at risk then that is your choice.

Boilerup is right!! I think I'm older than most in here but I remain amazed at the "20k hours havent had a scratch, I got all the answers, why do I need this crap" guys.

Reminds me of my dad 30 years ago when I suggested he wear a seatbelt.

The guys who think they've got it wired are usually the guys who need it most. There are a lot of clowns in this business masquerading as professionals. Guys who think its a good idea to disable the EGPWS callouts (50-30-20-10) because they are distracting, guys who dont know how to extend a centerline from the runway in an FMS let alone build a glideslope (ie going into someplace at night w out a precision approach), guys who refuse to get on board with challenge and response checklists.

The NBAA and IS-BAO folks spout a lot of misleading info relative to accident statistics and bizav. We should be doing nearly everything in the cockpit the way 121 and 135 folks do it. We should all be incorporating best practices and simply what is safest. What you like is irrelevant.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back