Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SMS required for operations into Bermuda?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mrebuck

Is a Safety Management System required to be in place for an operator to currently conduct operations into and out of Bermuda?

Thanks

At the current time there is no place where you must have SMS to operate. The formal ICAO deadline is Nov. 18, 2010.

It remains to be seen if that deadline will stay, there are rumors that this deadline will be pushed back.

But you still have to have HF radio communication ability.

SMS again....

What does the November deadline mean? even the clowns selling SMS's for 10-20K and/or 12k/yr cant answer that one..

No, you dont need an SMS to operate anywhere, and likely wont for a long time (or at least untuil the FAA says you do?) - BUT - if you have the time you might as well get one going?

It seems like it will be inevitable, and hell, a thorough risk analysis before each departure will certainly make you safer.

:laugh:

SMS again....

What does the November deadline mean? even the clowns selling SMS's for 10-20K and/or 12k/yr cant answer that one..

No, you dont need an SMS to operate anywhere, and likely wont for a long time (or at least untuil the FAA says you do?) - BUT - if you have the time you might as well get one going?

It seems like it will be inevitable, and hell, a thorough risk analysis before each departure will certainly make you safer.

Close-minded, hazardous attitudes like yours are exactly what SMS has to overcome in order to become universally accepted in the aviation community.

The purpose of having a safety management system isn't to meet compliance while sitting shelf collecting dust - it is a volume of procedures and best practices, developed by the best and brightest in the industry and pretty much used by people like you every day, whose implementation is vital for improving the safety culture of our industry.

A per-leg risk matrix isn't anything different than what you already consider, so why would you object to putting it on paper?

Attitudes like yours are what is holding bizav safety back - SMS is coming and you'd best get on board now to avoid the rush.

Of course, for a reasonable fee I can generate an SMS for your operation...don't trouble yourself with questions of "approval" - that'll be taken care of by the ISABO audit that is the end-all-be-all of safety.

Close-minded, hazardous attitudes like yours are exactly what SMS has to overcome in order to become universally accepted in the aviation community.

The purpose of having a safety management system isn't to meet compliance while sitting shelf collecting dust - it is a volume of procedures and best practices, developed by the best and brightest in the industry and pretty much used by people like you every day, whose implementation is vital for improving the safety culture of our industry.

A per-leg risk matrix isn't anything different than what you already consider, so why would you object to putting it on paper?

Attitudes like yours are what is holding bizav safety back - SMS is coming and you'd best get on board now to avoid the rush.

Of course, for a reasonable fee I can generate an SMS for your operation...don't trouble yourself with questions of "approval" - that'll be taken care of by the ISABO audit that is the end-all-be-all of safety.

or my favorite....

"You dont want the French Federales putting locks on your airplane for not having an SMS and then having to explain it that your boss do you?, so give me 16K and I will make you compliant"

"The phase III audit really makes it all come together"

:0

Want a real laugh, just check out what it takes to become as ISBAO "auditor"...

LOL, its what it is, put it on the shelf and consider it done.

FWIW - FSI is supposed to be coming out with an easy template type SMS for all of us who can safely fly now and just want something to throw up when we need to.

Good Lord Almighty, how did I ever survive flying for over 40 years and 21,000 hours without an accident, incident or a violation without an SMS in the cockpit leading my way? :p

Good Lord Almighty, how did I ever survive flying for over 40 years and 21,000 hours without an accident, incident or a violation without an SMS in the cockpit leading my way? :p

I was asking myself the same thing. Give me the template and I'll fill in the blanks and I'll meet the requirement.

I'll bypass the money grabbers that will "put it together for me" thank you very much.....

I was asking myself the same thing. Give me the template and I'll fill in the blanks and I'll meet the requirement.

I'll bypass the money grabbers that will "put it together for me" thank you very much.....

And then throw it on the bookshelf to collect dust. ;)

And then throw it on the bookshelf to collect dust. ;)

Oh no, I'll make a copy for the airplane, in REALLY small fonts, since invariably, some some little icao pencil prick will ramp us one day and want to see it! Likely the same pencil pricks that want to see that W&B upon landing in the EU.

Latest resources

Back