Skywest jumpseat question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASApuppy

I was wondering if any progress has been made to allow cockpit j/s to DAL system pilots (like yours truly) on the United side of the operation? I know our names are in the computer so our employment can be verified, a gate agent in SAN showed me once. Is this allowed yet? We can carry Skywest pilots that fly United color airplanes in our cockpit, and as far as I know we make no distinction between the two. If is allowed is there a phone number to allow us to list for it? Thanks in advance.

ASApuppy

Somebody brought up this very issue on one of the internal SkyWest forums, though now I can't find the exact thread I was thinking of to post here. My understanding of the current situation, which may be incorrect or incomplete based on the age of what I read from the jumpseat coordinator (June 2004), is the following:

1. DAL/DCI pilots ARE allowed in the actual of SKYW UAL flights and vice versa
2. The problem lies in educating gate agents on both sides
3. Jumpseaters who match the tail (i.e. UAL/UEX on UAL flights) have priority over DAL/DCI and vice versa

Bottom line, if you can get past the gate agent, you should be able to get on the actual if it's available. There is no number to list on the SkyWest actual. Hope this helps.

Don't think so on the progress. I just got back from recurrent ground and the short answer is --yes and no. The impression I got was that DCI pilots are only allowed to ride up front on UALX when it is a Skywest station and they can verify your employment. I'm not sure how a Skywest station is defined, but I'm thinking it is one that serves both Delta Conn and UALX, and the agents are SKYW employees.

The company doesn;t seem to care about who rides up front, but it looks like they are getting their direction from the TSA.

No listing, just show up.

We just got a memo from the CP last wk that said something to the effect of telephone verification to dispatch is no longer acceptable to the TSA. If you are a DL guy trying to js out of a UA or UEX station, the only way to verify your employment is via a call to dispatch. Unfortunately that would keep you out of the js unless the station was a dual DLC/UEX SkyWest station, and unfortunately there aren't too many of those. GJT, SGU, CPR, etc. I cant think of any more of them. Until these TSA clowns keep their paws off the js, our options are unfortunately very limited.

What those guys just said....e.g. you would be able to do it out of EUG b/c Skywest handles both dci and uex side, but in SLC you would not be able to do UEX b/c it's mainlined united...clear as mud????

peace out,
Mookie

we tried getting a DAL guy on a United flight the other day by calling dispatch to have his employment verified, didnt get very far. It's not quite there yet. Keep trying, we are more than happy to have anyone up front as soon as its possible!

Thanks for all the responses. It has been several months since I J/S'ed from SAN-LAX on Skywest. The ticket counter in SAN is at the commuter terminal and is all United and run by Skywest. All Delta stuff at SAN is through Eagle on the commuter side. Anyway, even back then, my employment info was in the computer. The gate agent told be that allowed her to assign me a seat and not be SSSS for the TSA, but I couldn't sit up front because I didn't work for United.

I agree, getting past the the uninformed gate agents is the hardest part, especially when the rules seem to change weekly. I am just looking for some guidence to help the gate agent let me try. They certainly have one of the toughest jobs. I had a Mesa Dispatcher try to jump on our flight out of his own hub last month. Thats stretching it pretty far.

ASApuppy

Do new hires receive access to the jumpseat once issued an id at Skywest?

Just getting ready to start at Skywest this coming Monday, can anyone tell me if I can start jumpseating right away? Good weekend.

I had a F/A the other day who hadn't received her ID after 4 weeks. She had a tough time getting through security with the letter she was issued verifying employment.

Latest resources

Back