• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest getting Sued!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to clarify...I am not suggesting that nearly all claims made are true. What I am trying to emphasize is that it makes no difference if a male pilot or a female pilot makes claims about mistreatment or harassment - there are equal numbers on both sides that make false claims (again, we have no basis for assuming this case was a false claim - we weren't there). It just seems that some contributors on this and the previous board see an article about a female pilot and start analyzing to death the pilot's qualifications, morals, intentions, whatever. For example, the ROA incident and this mistreatment case. I'd like to see the same emphasis placed on the mistakes of male pilots.

For the record, I've flown with female and male pilots, both good and bad. The gender had nothing to do with piloting skills.

I have heard some things about this individual and I am afraid to say that I think she is capable of making these accusations. This is not about female pilots in general, this about one pilot making a bad decsion, getting caught and trying to get something out of it. I honestly believe that had any of the male pilots made the same mistake in OMA, they would have been fired instead of demoted.
Fly safe!

Anyone know if she (Paula) won her suit?

She is now at Comair as an FO and the rumor is that she got a settlement from SkyWest.

I have only very briefly talked to her and she seems nice.

But there have been NUMEROUS rumors around here from multiple sources that paint a very, very bad picture of her and her behavior here at Comair.... if even 10% of it's true it makes her out to be a predatorial, diabolical person. Almost to the point of psycotically evil.

My girlfriend flew with her and a Capt and thought she was nice, but also saw indication that the rumors were more more based on fact than fiction.

Last edited:
This is obviously a case where a female cannot fly the airplane to SkyWest standards so she tries to get back at the company and falsify information. What a joke- Not only was SkyWest correct for demoting her to the right seat they should have fired her for pi$$ poor judgement and lack of ability.

I would only hope that this case gets tossed out the window as well as her employment with SkyWest. A male screws up like this and we are history (probably without being "nicely" demoted to the right seat and given a dozen of roses to hold the tears back)-

jeez oh man, I could not believe this when I read it-- - This is a "perfect" example of "why" we will always have the numbers in our favor in this industry-

3 5 0

Issues like these are usually brought up in some vain attempt to question the validity of minorities in aviation.

There are several things that must be taken into consideration;

First off everyone makes mistakes, be them mistakes in technique or judgement.

Trying to duck out of a problem and not take responsibility for these is not specifically limited to gender. It is human nature and requires a mature individual to override this impulse.

Acceptance and retention of personnel in situations like these are not soley based on gender. It is based on a track record of performance and proven abilities. I have heard of incidents in which crewmembers of EITHER genders are retained after what some would consider serious and dangerous mistakes.

This individual was retained not just because she is female, because if the company wanted to they could have very easily terminated her right after the incident as they legally had a fair amount of evidence against her. The company retained her because they have an investment, and they wish to retain it.

Remember the old, old saying:

To Err Is Human, To Forgive Divine.

We all make mistakes. We would all wish to be forgiven for them, no matter what the size of them are.

When SWA pilots ran the aircraft off the end of the runway at BUR did they deserve to get fired? Certainly not. They made a mistake, a very human thing to do. If you keep them and forgive them you can rest assured that they will endeavor very hard not to repeat that mistake again. I was very surprised that SWA fired these guys as when you read their company propaganda, "Nuts" they pride themselves in letting people make mistakes, forgiving them and letting the employee travail over the unfortunate decision/incident. Kind of makes you think that things may be a bit duplicitious there.

As to this individual's discrimination lawsuit. I think it can go any of a number of ways. She could be telling the truth or it could be either a total fabrication or some varying amounts of embellishment. Who knows. The story is so outrageous it might be true. With all the things that have been in the news of late this certainly is not out of the realm of possibility. This will be for the courts to decide. In a case like this it would be very difficult to find "hard" evidence to support the plaintiff's claims. About the only thing that might have some bearing on it would be the CVR, I doubt that the tapes are retained and that is not supposed to be used as evidence against anyone in a certificate action. Is that applicable in a civil case? Anyway who knows. You are innocent till proven guilty, at least that was the way it was when I last checked.

I think that there are better things to discuss other than this issue.

Take Care & Good Luck To Us All!

FearlessFreep said:
When SWA pilots ran the aircraft off the end of the runway at BUR did they deserve to get fired? Certainly not.

Yes, they absolutely should have been fired!!! Have you actually read the accident report? Here's the address for it if not: http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2002/AAB0204.pdf

The GPWS was giving "Pull Up" and "Sink Rate" warnings for 35 seconds with no reaction at all from either pilot. The aircraft touched down at over 180 kts and with flaps not in the landing configuration.

This is not just a simple mistake. This is some of the worst decision making I have ever heard of from a professional pilot.

I was very surprised that SWA fired these guys as when you read their company propaganda, "Nuts" they pride themselves in letting people make mistakes, forgiving them and letting the employee travail over the unfortunate decision/incident.

No offense dude, but that is one of the most galactically f'ed up things I've heard in a long time! I'm all about forgiveness, but aviation is unique, you can't be afforded the luxury of three strikes like many other occupations. With this in mind, how can you possibly be suprised that two guys were fired for countless SOP violations and just plain old ridiculous lapses in any inkiing of good judgement and decision making?

As for SWA's (or any other airline for that matter) forgiving attitude, I'd think it's safe to say that some ramper sending bags to Lubbock instead of Laredo is worthy of forgiving, NOT bending metal!

"The captain's total flight experience was about 2,500 hours. She had accumulated 200 hours in the EMB-145, all within the preceding 90 days. She had upgraded from the Beech 1900, where she had been a first officer.

The first officer's total flight experience was 1,850 hours with 750 hours in the EMB-145. She had accumulated 90 hours in the preceding 90 days. She had upgraded from the Beech 1900, where she had been a first officer."

:eek:

sat74 said:

Last month during a landing, Manjarrez was working as co-pilot when Wall allegedly pulled down his pants, grabbed his penis and demanded she perform a sex act, according to the suit. After Manjarrez refused, the pilot pressed himself against Manjarrez and "proceeded to fill a soft drink container with urine."

Sounds very interesting!

I don't know about you, but I can barely get my hands in my pockets while seated at the flight controls, let alone pull down my pants and pee in a cup.

This guy must be Superman! He did all this while on final to one of the busiest airports in the world!

Amazing!

I would have pee'd on her and made it worth my while.:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back