• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single-pilot jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think one of the subject that might be lost here is the Captain as mentor. A higher experienced Captain has the ability to impart his experience to his less experienced partner, even if both are PIC. I will say that much of what I learned about flying came from the much older captains that "took me under their wing" and taught me what they new. I still use many of their techniques in my everyday flying and Im extremely grateful for the opportunity to learn from them.

And um a$$clown, I'm looking 2-5 years down the road not the first year. I WILL have a co-pilot with a crapload of hours for the first year. Lets not make this personal huh sunny!!!

You aren't going to be ready in 2-5 years. I had nearly 3,000 hours in t-prop and jet aircraft before I flew them single pilot. Today I'm flying with that 300 hour wonder that thinks he knows everything and won't listen to me when I give him corrective instruction. You remind me of him. You aren't ready.

You aren't going to be ready in 2-5 years. I had nearly 3,000 hours in t-prop and jet aircraft before I flew them single pilot. Today I'm flying with that 300 hour wonder that thinks he knows everything and won't listen to me when I give him corrective instruction. You remind me of him. You aren't ready.

Amen to that!!!!

My 7-month-old son is now asleep and I am not typing on my ipad so allow me to retort.

Yo old dudes, like whatever man!!! All I waz axing was an opion on an planz for some bling bling to make mo' money for all my baby momma's!! I aplogixs for offending youz if I did!!!

However, thank you for all the constructive responses along with the information, I will research your views and opinions to reach a decision.

Although it does not matter to anyone but those involved in the process, I am not a 300/500-hour wonder. I have over 3000 hours with 500 multi and 300-turbine time with ZERO accidents or incidents. The insurance company has approved my application for the past two years for the value of the airplane.

Older, close to zero experience, and most shockingly demonstrative: little or no education to speak of. Your posts are seething with all-manner of grammatical and cognitive offenses.

You'd be well-advised to consider the opinions of those whom do this for a living, Brightspark.

You must be a peach to fly with!!!

Interesting thread, and a quick answer to the question...

• Phenom 300
  • Citation CJ series
  • Beech Premier

...and as for the associated hooplah, nothing inherently wrong with single pilot. Most (90%) of my total time has been single pilot. Crappy weather, bitchy passengers, screaming babies, puking dogs, missed approaches, icing airframes, and even the Teterboro vortex can all be handled fine SP. I have flown all of the above in both jet props and SP jets, and I will take the SP jet workload all day, any day in the same circumstances.

Explosive DC is not much of a factor since you are supposed to have your dam mask on anyways. High insurance premiums means you need either; a new broker, or a pilot with some dam experience.

To the naysayers...please note I am not implying SP is better, merely that it can be, and is done quite safely on a daily basis. I can honestly count on one hand the times I wished I had an SIC on board, the most recent was for an extra ear to interpret what the dam controller in Manzanillo was babbling about ;)

Work load is also dependent on A/P. If it's cumbersome to use, it will increase your workload. If you don't have one, well that's a whole other animal.

Insurance, insurance, insurance.

Your confidence level is also dependent on how often you'll fly it. Likewise, but inversely, with how long your days will be. Fatigue in SP ops. is stupid crazy.

citation V is the best value in the single pilot jet market.
lots of positives very few negatives.
find a good shop outside of the cessna service center system and enjoy the ride

Single-pilot jets require an operable autopilot for SP ops, otherwise you are required two qualified crewmembers.

Low-time pilots jump from Cirrus or Lancair into Eclipses, Mustangs, CJs and Phenoms pretty regularly...but those are purpose-built SP jets. A pilot with little multi and/or turbine experience isn't going to qualify for a 500-series Single Pilot Waiver.

To the naysayers...please note I am not implying SP is better, merely that it can be, and is done quite safely on a daily basis.
Also, this.

I'd almost always rather fly with a second crewmember (and do most of the time) but SP ops can be and often are perfectly safe.

That being said, IMO it is wise to ask why, in an airplane designed with multiple redundancies, an owner would voluntarily choose to have a single point of failure in a single pilot at the controls.

My 7-month-old son is now asleep and I am not typing on my ipad so allow me to retort.

Yo old dudes, like whatever man!!! All I waz axing was an opion on an planz for some bling bling to make mo' money for all my baby momma's!! I aplogixs for offending youz if I did!!!

However, thank you for all the constructive responses along with the information, I will research your views and opinions to reach a decision.

Although it does not matter to anyone but those involved in the process, I am not a 300/500-hour wonder. I have over 3000 hours with 500 multi and 300-turbine time with ZERO accidents or incidents. The insurance company has approved my application for the past two years for the value of the airplane.

2500 hours of flying in the practice area does not prepare one to be a captain on a jet. 300 hours of turbine is about enough to not be dangerous as a copilot. You have a way to go yet before you're ready.

Latest resources

Back