Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

paid4training

Missing my family
What are some of the options for 6 pax single pilot jets available? Or would it be more economical to pay someone to sit right seat?

If I understand your question, you are asking what private jets exist which are single-pilot certified and can seat 6 pax in the back. Off the top of my head, a Phenom 300 fits the bill as does the CJ3. Probably a few others.

The second part of your question is whether single-pilot operation is more economic than a two-pilot operation. The answer, in general, is an emphatic "NO". The extra insurance cost ALONE will more than cover the cost of a 2nd pilot.

Of course, there is the tricky situation where the aircraft is just capable of carrying your necessary load with 1 pilot. Therefore adding another pilot pushes you over your capability and you need a larger aircraft. With a 6-pax aircraft this is generally less of an issue than with a true VLJ such as a Phenom 100 or Eclipse.

Also, it should be emphasized that the reason single pilot operations cost more in insurance is because they are demonstrably less safe. What price you put on your own life or those of your passengers is up to you to quantify.

I fly single pilot in a Turboprop, but when it comes to jets, I truly believe that second pilot is worth the cost. What price do you put on safety with the second person? Hiring that other pilot is a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER than the lawsuits that come if there is an accident with one pilot.

I fly single pilot in a Turboprop, but when it comes to jets, I truly believe that second pilot is worth the cost. What price do you put on safety with the second person? Hiring that other pilot is a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER than the lawsuits that come if there is an accident with one pilot.

I'm sure people can sue for anything, but what grounds would the suit have if the aircraft was certified SP or waivered as such and crewed and insured properly?

Our underwriter quoted SP waiver on a Citation II vs. running a two-pilot operation and the difference was about $3000 for $100Mil liability. Clearly can't ignore the cost so then it comes down to the intangible of how much safety a SIC adds. Keep in mind this is for an old aircraft that has very little hull value.

It all comes down to what they want which has more variables than I can list. A decent Citation II will run you $500K or less which is insane, but they're a dying breed(support getting tougher). Phenom, Citation CJ 1-4....what do they want to pay.

Why do you feel any differently in a jet vs turboprop, SP?

Simple...

Reaction time and complexity. Your average turboprop is in the 180-250KTAS range. (though Pilatus and TBM are higher) There is more time for one pilot to react to situations as opposed to the higher speeds of Jets. You also have increasing complexity despite some outstanding avionics on the newer models. I just believe if you are up there in the FL in a jet you need that second person with you.

Flying around in a jet by myself at FL410? No thanks, I'll take the increase in odds that SOMEBODY gets their mask on in time during a rapid D with a second pilot.

Agree with everything above about the increased safety with two pilots. However the insurance does not cost us more for single pilot operation in CJ.

Simple...

Reaction time and complexity. Your average turboprop is in the 180-250KTAS range. (though Pilatus and TBM are higher) There is more time for one pilot to react to situations as opposed to the higher speeds of Jets. You also have increasing complexity despite some outstanding avionics on the newer models. I just believe if you are up there in the FL in a jet you need that second person with you.

If you're at altitude, who cares how fast you are going? Which would you rather be in during an engine fire? Two pilots are always better than one, however, give me the jet sp during an emergency any day over the same emergency in a tp. The newer fadec jets at least are much less complex than a tp with the motors out on the wing. How many steps again during an engine fire on a tp? Single engine approach at mins? Yikes. No thanks, single pilot.

Latest resources

Back