Single-pilot jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simple...

Reaction time and complexity. Your average turboprop is in the 180-250KTAS range. (though Pilatus and TBM are higher) There is more time for one pilot to react to situations as opposed to the higher speeds of Jets. You also have increasing complexity despite some outstanding avionics on the newer models. I just believe if you are up there in the FL in a jet you need that second person with you.

I think you're being a little hypocritical. They all go 250 below 10K feet. What difference does it make how fast they go above 10K? Also, some single pilot turboprops have a much higher workload than the average two pilot Jet.

Flying around in a jet by myself at FL410? No thanks, I'll take the increase in odds that SOMEBODY gets their mask on in time during a rapid D with a second pilot.

I know it's a widely abused reg, but aren't you supposed to be on O2 above FL250 or FL350 when operating single pilot? Hard to say it's not safe if you have to violate a reg to make it unsafe.

I do believe flying as a crew is always preferable, but whether or not the turbines drive propellers is irrelevant.

It my dumbass can safely fly single pilot at FL450, anybody can.

The premium to fly SP is less than 10% above dual crew for us - not remotely cost prohibitive. If it is, you need a new insurance broker. But we do operate with two pilots 90%+ of the time, which I prefer, as two sets of eyes are always better than one.

I think you're being a little hypocritical. They all go 250 below 10K feet. What difference does it make how fast they go above 10K? Also, some single pilot turboprops have a much higher workload than the average two pilot Jet.

I know it's a widely abused reg, but aren't you supposed to be on O2 above FL250 or FL350 when operating single pilot? Hard to say it's not safe if you have to violate a reg to make it unsafe.

I do believe flying as a crew is always preferable, but whether or not the turbines drive propellers is irrelevant.

Im not trying to be hypocritical, but a guess it boils down to a person choice and I like to have the second person next to me in a Jet.

Well, I fly the Phenom 300. If you look hard enough you can find all the info on it in another thread. However, a new 300 is somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 million and you can get a Lear 45 for half that, apply the savings to hiring a second pilot and the added fuel cost and maintenance and still come up $3+ million ahead. Plus you'll have someone to carry your bags :)

by asking this question its obvious you're the boss...do you shop around for the cheapest heart surgeon?....ride your bike without a helmet? cause its legal?

just hire another pilot and dont worry about it. remember we have to share the sky with your crappy single pilot too....dont crap in our mouth.

The USAF flies F-15 and F-22 single pilot but no passengers to worry about if the one pilot dies or is incapacitated! I agree that for transport flying a two pilot crew is best for work load reduction in emergencies & redundancy...

...dont forget the Beech Premier ;)

Last edited:
Yea, this week I am the "boss" but that can change month to month like most contract labor. Cj3 would be nice, but I've heard the citation V is single-pilot and affordable. It sounds as if the insurance is based on the experience level and value of the aircraft. When these guys decide exactly what they want I will have around 500 twin time with 300 turbine so hopefully I will qualify for either jet. They want to spend about $2 million range

Yea, this week I am the "boss" but that can change month to month like most contract labor. Cj3 would be nice, but I've heard the citation V is single-pilot and affordable. It sounds as if the insurance is based on the experience level and value of the aircraft. When these guys decide exactly what they want I will have around 500 twin time with 300 turbine so hopefully I will qualify for either jet. They want to spend about $2 million range

500 multi/300 turbine isn't much experience for operating a twinjet single pilot. Can it be done? Sure...but getting SP insured is probably going to be expensive the first year with liability limits capped in the $5-10M range, and require 6-month training.

Also, I think a 500-series Single Pilot Waiver requires 500 turbine (either PIC or SIC).

I was told, at last 525 recurrent, that if it's your first type you are limited to flying with a typed SIC for so many hours. It's like an IOE.I forget the number but was not small.
So it seems that you can no longer jump from whatever you were flying into your first jet and go single pilot.

Latest resources

Back