• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Share your thoughts on Flying Sunglasses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I go through a new pair of sunglasses like every 6 months. Either somehow they get broken, bent, scratched, etc. Go with a $20-30 pair of Fossil sunglasses. You can find them at JCPenney, Carson Pirie Scott, Bergners, Famous Barr, any variation of those stores. Also at the Fossil stores.

Don't go spending $100 on sunglasses. Maybe for a pair that you aren't going to fly with. I just don't like being at work trying to do my job being concerned about scratching or bending my sunglasses.

To answer the Q on the Serengeti gradients vs not, it's really not a problem. I've had both, and the solid lens still worked well because they are not super-dark to begin with. There was no problem seeing things below the glareshield.

FlyChicagee, no offense but that sounds 'backerds to me brother!:) Use the GOOD ones for flying, the beaters for around town! MHO.

yeah I guess I am just having a hard time decided what will be the most comfortable UNDER my headset. Since I am going to buy online, I really don't have the chance to try all the different models on, since my local SH doesn't carry all of them.

But this is why I am basically comparing the Serengetis and the Randolphs. The Randolphs look like they "MAY" be more comfortable for use under a headset because of the flat spatula earpieces that DONT' wrap around your ears.

And the Serengetis DO wrap around your ears.. yeah they look thin, but still that piece of metal behind your eye might bother you when the headset is on because the headset will be smushing the metal between your ear and scalp. I just don't know...
maybe somebody can share their thoughts on the comfortable level of these different glasses.

I have the David Clark H20-10XL Headset by the way, if that makes a difference..

Oh yeah.. On a side note, does anybody think the Serengeti Prato's would work well under a headset? the earpiece frames sort of "bow" out around your temple, so I am not sure if this would be a problem. check them out and let me know... I do like how they look though..

Big Duke Six said:
FlyChicagee, no offense but that sounds 'backerds to me brother!:) Use the GOOD ones for flying, the beaters for around town! MHO.

But if I do that, then people will think I'm overpaid! ;)

Glasses

I say buy the best you can get your hands on. I've been wearing REVO's since they were introduced back in the 80's and have been totally satisfied. They were originally developed for astronauts,are ground to telescope specs.,and are multilayered with every filter known to man. The acid test...... I started wearing them in '88, I'm now 42 and still have 20/15,and no hint of macular degeneration. You've only got one pair of eyes,and if you fly for a living,it's vital that you protect them with the best thing on the market. My .02.....:cool:

Seregenti

Hands down the Seregenti's are the best I have used...Seregenti's are crisp, clear, and unlike anything I have ever used. You still can get the big one's that Duke Six used to have....they do cost a hell of a lot of money...but I borrowed a friends and within 2 days I went out and bought my own!

Re: Seregenti

Sean said:
Hands down the Seregenti's are the best I have used...Seregenti's are crisp, clear, and unlike anything I have ever used. You still can get the big one's that Duke Six used to have....they do cost a hell of a lot of money...but I borrowed a friends and within 2 days I went out and bought my own!

When you say the "big ones" are you talking about the Serengeti Aviators??

Seregenti's

Yes...

Go to a Sun Glass hut in the mall, they have many sizes and the last time I was there to get mine you had (2) colors, green, or brown to pick from

When you go make sure you ask to see the write-ups...

I think he is talking about the comparison articles mentioned above.

Latest resources

Back