Share your thoughts on Flying Sunglasses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

squale

I was just checking some of these out, most of them look sort of big but I guess that must be important in the plane to have lots of protection..

but anyhow, I was reading up about these Oakleys on the internet.. they seem really nice.. http://www.avshop.com/catalog/product.html?productid=5877

Anybody wanna share their thoughts on what they think are the best aviation sunglasses?

Should you go with Polarized or Iridium?
I have only owned cheap $15 sunglasses basically all my life, so you can see my level of knowledge here.. lol

figure it's time to invest in a pair since the other day while I was up in the c172, I could barely see a thing it was so bright!

Take a chill pill...

Geez kid... Your enthusiasm is crazy... Not that it's a bad thing, but d*mn...

Too many factors with sunglasses. Seriously wait until you've gone on at least a few flights. You'll be able to make a more informed decision then.

Have you got your medical yet?

Make sure you can pass it before spending 700 on a headset and 300 on sun glasses.

I use $10. Smith and Wesson shooting sunglasses when I'm flying, they work perfect.

Last edited:
yeah I have my medical and am all good to go..

that's why I am looking into all this stuff.. just want to get everything I need upfront and then just concentrate on flying and studying.

I don't wnat to have to be researching products to buy for flying while taking my lessons. I will be devoting all my time to books, etc..

Starting out, you are required to buy Ray-Ban Classic Aviators. if you don't, your instructor will never let you solo.

Serously, NOT the most important decision you will make. But, for my 2 cents, get thin temples so they fit comfortably under your new headset.

Oh yeah, polarized screw up the way the windshield looks in some aircraft. I heard that it was against regs to wear them, but I've never seen that reg.

Good luck, welcome to the flyin'...

D4mn, Ray-Bans are required to solo? I need to clue in my CFI the next time I see him. Thanks for the heads up.

Get a decent pair ($20) of polarized ones with UV protection. Don't go for green or blue ones (it blends in white aircraft to their surroundings), insist on grey, black, or yellow ones. We have a place in the mall during the summer that sells decent sylish sunglasses for $15-$30 depending on the style.

If you need non-polarized glasses to fly, I have never legally flown an aircraft. Only certain types of windows give me the checkerboard effect and I have never gotten it from an aircraft main or side windows. Most of the time it is the back windshields of cars and every LCD screen (GPS and some radios) that you get that effect. While annoying with the radios, you can easily just tilt your head a little when you need a readout (plus you shouldn't be looking down there anyway! Instraments/outside only).

I find that polarization is awsome when flying over or near water and sometimes snow. It kills the sun reflection which can blind you when doing maneuvers near it.

I don't wnat to have to be researching products to buy for flying while taking my lessons. I will be devoting all my time to books, etc..

Half of the learning process is learning what is available in regards to products and other sources of information. Don't become a recluse and hope that all answers related to flying will come from a book. A good portoin of them may, but a lot more information is learned through experience, talking with others, and reading magazines, etc...

don't get $2 dollar imitaton aviators, that's all i say.
--worst headache ever--
just make sure they have thin headbands(or whatever u call them), otherwise it freakin hurts!

PS It seems like ur blowin a lot of dough!
(reminds me of me)

whatever you get, get thin head-claspy-parts. You'll be happy you did after several hours of your headset smashing those pieces into the side of your head.
Polarized or not...that is the question. As said above, some displays and views may be distorted with polarization. I'd go the safe route and get a pair without porarization. Sometimes the polarization renders digital displays such as the numbers on the radio stack or GPS displays unreadable.
I bought a pair of "Dockers" brand glasses (I didn't know they made them either) from Lazarus for $6 bucks! I've been using them for 8 months with no durability issues. Save your money, YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEND $100 FOR SUNGLASSES! You will drop them, and when they get scratched or sat on or left in the plane or at the FBO, you don't want to freak out b/c it took you a month of paychecks to buy those glasses. Seriously, $20 should get you all you need.

Oh yeah, don't listen to those other guys, you don't need Ray Ban Aviators...this is what all of the cool pilots wear!
What the pros wear!

as a former CFI at a big flight school I say get the best Revo's (or other pricy glasses) you can afford. It really makes a huge difference when learning to fly.....

plus when you always leave them in the plane after solo's / renting etc...we will be sure to find the rightful owner......really.

:D

Latest resources

Back