• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

serious color vision question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never worried about light gun signals. In an emergency, the only one you will probably recieve is green. Chances are that they are not going to give you any funky signals when the crap hits the fan. I'm sure that it's possible, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Also, once you get to two pilot crew, chances are the other guy will see the lights, if it's really that important.

I once had a total electrical failure in the pattern while I was instructing. I looked and never saw the lights. We talked to the tower later, and they throught that we did a fine job.

Falant

By the way, the Farnsworth lantern test is no longer accepted as a substitute for the Ishihara plates that most doctors use (the little book of round spots). I think that was changed last year.

There are other acceptable substitutes, and you should attempt them before you do the light gun test. I was unable to pass the Farnsworth lantern, so I did have to do the light gun test, and passed with no problem.

Good luck

Straight from the current FAA Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners(GAME)

Examination Techniques
Item 52. Color Vision

Acceptable Substitutes: The procedures for the Farnsworth Lantern or OPTEC 900 Color Vision Test; Keystone Orthoscope; Keystone Telebinocular; LKC Technologies, Inc., APT-5 Color Vision Tester; OPTEC 2000 Vision Tester (Model Nos. 2000PM, 2000PAME, and 2000PI); Titmus Vision Tester; Titmus II Vision Tester (Model Nos. TII and TIIS); and the Titmus 2 Vision Tester (Model Nos. T2A and T2S) accompany the instructions.

Straight from the current FAA Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners(GAME)

Examination Techniques
Item 52. Color Vision

Acceptable Substitutes: The procedures for the Farnsworth Lantern or OPTEC 900 Color Vision Test; Keystone Orthoscope; Keystone Telebinocular; LKC Technologies, Inc., APT-5 Color Vision Tester; OPTEC 2000 Vision Tester (Model Nos. 2000PM, 2000PAME, and 2000PI); Titmus Vision Tester; Titmus II Vision Tester (Model Nos. TII and TIIS); and the Titmus 2 Vision Tester (Model Nos. T2A and T2S) accompany the instructions.

Titmus... The model TII is actually far superior to the TIIS. ha ha you said tit

I've done the Farnsworth and have a 1st with no restrictions.

Something that makes me wonder about this is the FedEx 727 that crashed in TLH a few years ago. The FO crashed airplane because he couldn't see the PAPI's due to his color vision deficiency. Reading the report, my "condition" isn't as nearly severe as this person's was. But it does make me wonder if something like this might spur a change in first class medical standards, as that was one of the recommendations in the report. I carry loss of license of insurance for this very reason.

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2004/AAR0402.pdf

Latest resources

Back