serious color vision question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medicryan

Ok, so yes I have a color deficiency. I passed the light signal test with no problems. The only problem that I have is a rare problem with seeing VASIs and PAPIs. This only happens once every 20 or so landings and only at certain airports I go to. It only pertains to certain runways because the VASI/PAPI is a different shade than the next one. In a 172 there is no issue because the damn thing is so slow.

Here is my question, should I have any worry about going to the regionals? I know I can just use good CRM and ask the captain and make sure he/she sees that same thing that I do. Also, I know that you back up the approach with the ILS and this will elimanate the problem if every runway you land on has an ILS which is never going to happen. Words of encouragement will be welcomed.

Ryan

i have a waiver for defective color vision...did the lightgun test as a student pilot, since then I never have to look at the magic eye book on medicals. I've never had a problem getting a 1st class (just last week actually) in 8 years. No limitations, no restrictions.

As far as your other problem with seeing papi/vasi, well I would just keep that to yourself. learn to trust your own judgement when this happens, or use vdp and mental math if you need to compute descent rate/glide path. Plenty of runways you will fly into as a 121/135 pilot dont have a vasi/papi.

A tool captain might complain to the company that you can't see well enough to fly the airplane (if you ask the tool for help).

I reckon you'll be just fine. If you get the SODA / Waiver / whatever letter they are handing out these days, just keep it on the Down Low and compensate the way you probably do with other things. I read a great article by Bud Davisson (sp?) in Plane & Pilot a few years ago about how he was colorblind and as a CFI with thousands of hours he realized the Class D / E surface airpsace on VFR Sectional charts were shown in different colors. I guess he always looked for extra frequencies or something for class D to tell what it was (which is what I mean by compensating).

Anyway, I think there are a LOT more people like you out there than you think. Good luck!

Medicryan said:
The only problem that I have is a rare problem with seeing VASIs and PAPIs. This only happens once every 20 or so landings and only at certain airports I go to.

What exactly is the problem, you don't see the lights at all at certain airports or do they all look red or white?

Color Tests

Guys, a knowledgable doctor makes all the difference. Every now and then I hear someone who took a light gun test and got a waiver, and it's only because their doctor either doesn't know, or doesn't tell them good info. There are SEVERAL color vision tests that the FAA will accept as normal color vision. Lots of doctors still use the "numbers in circles" like you get in a normal non aviation physical because it is so common and it gets the job done. It actually is one of the more difficult tests. Sure you can go take that light gun test and get a medical with a waiver on it and probably be fine, but why would you want that if you can pass one of the others and not have a waiver? One test my doctor uses is called the "Farnsworth Lantern" test I think and I believe he said that the Navy used the same test. I missed one number in circles out of like nine, so he showed it to me. It's certainly easier than the numbers in circles, (although not as easy as a light gun) but it proves you have perfectly acceptable color vision. You don't have to be able to work in a paint store and match 5,000 different shades of blue/green with your naked eye. There are a lot different levels of color perception, and the numbers in circles is way stricter than what the FAA needs to see. Find a doctor that does only flight physicals and is more knowledgeable about it. There are other tests and I know various doctors use them.

I even googled some info for you....i just copied the first page i saw about it...and by the way, if you already have a waiver, you can pass this test and have the thing removed. A waiver isn't bad, but if you don't need it, who wants it.

www.leftseat.com/falant.htm

Last edited:
GT501 said:
Sure you can go take that light gun test and get a medical with a waiver on it and probably be fine, but why would you want that if you can pass one of the others and not have a waiver?http://www.leftseat.com/falant.htm

sounds like your case is pretty mild. i could see maybe half the numbers, tried some other test, finally went with the light gun. easy as pie, even though it was noon in MCO and they were shooting the gun at me through those mirrored windows.

sure, why not try another test? but don't sweat it if you have to get the SODA. i was nervous about it when i was interviewing, but the airlines couldn't have cared less...

I've got a SODA, too, and only a couple of months ago (after 10 years) did I run in to a PAPI that keeps me really on my toes. Never happened before or anywhere else.

Yeah, ditto the CaptainV's post....if your case is bad enough that you can't pass the other tests, don't sweat the waiver. Hope my info at least provides an option...

It's a hell of a time to ask this question now, since you have already put all the time, money, and effort to get your ratings. Should have been asking that when you went for your first medical.

That being said, I'm sure they're all sorts of waivers and such out there, and you can probably fly for years without a problem. But consider this: You have this vision problem, because there is a problem with some of the cones in your eye. What if it gets worse? It'd be a bitch to get 15-20 years down the line and be grounded, wouldn't it?

That's one of the reasons I never got into flying. My vision. I was told time and again by many people that I could get a waiver. But my reasoning was, "What if, one day, I can't get a waiver? Then what?"

But to answer your question, since you will be getting paid for your piloting services, then you have a duty to disclose this condition to potential employers. And it that means you can't find a job, then I guess that is your "idiot tax" for not taking this issue seriously when you should have.

Latest resources

Back