Salt Lake City

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjet

Salt Lake City, anyone. I'll be there for 5 days. i know there is skiing nearby, but anybody have any other ways to have some fun.

You could go for a run/walk up behind the Univ. of Utah. You could check out the mormon temple. There are plenty-o-bars in and around downtown, Gateway and Trolley square for shopping. Head out to the Great Salt Lake.... it doesn't stink to bad in the winter... go to Park city...
i'll think of more.....

Ahh, what to do in SLC with 5 days.

Well, you gotta go to Temple Square. That's the HQ of the Mormon Church. Not too hard to find, look for the big spooky looking church. If you're into genealogy and stuff, they have a research center there you can use, The Mo's are really into that kinda stuff. Be prepared to be accosted by foreign female missionaries trying to convert you to their faith. It's part of the experience.

Tons of places to ski nearby. All of them are pretty good. If you board, go to Brighton.

The Gateway Mall is this big, newer looking, trendy, outdoor mall. Trolley Square is a bog, older looking, trendy, indoor mall. Both of them are pretty cool to walk around in.

If you're into the bar scene, Port o' Call is a local staple. 4 floors of drunken fun. Right on 4th South and North Temple, if I remember correctly. Can't think of any others that I really enjoyed.

All the beer is 3.2, and they can only pour 1 oz. liquor shots. And the bars close at 1 AM. Stupid Mormon liquor laws.

Stereotypical chick you pick up in the bars: Cute, blonde, nice rack, twice divorced, 1.5 kids at home, dead-end job.

Oh yeah, cruise into the mountains and go to Park City. Nice resort town, with its own cool bar scene, ski mountain, and fun stuff to do.

Last edited:
Wasatch Brew pub in Park City. Try a Polygamy Porter and some Wisconsin Cheese soup.

hawkerjet said:
Salt Lake City, anyone. I'll be there for 5 days. i know there is skiing nearby, but anybody have any other ways to have some fun.

In a word, no. And I grew up there.

Seriously though, I wish that I had been glider rated when I lived there. The CCL is usually somewhere around 15,000 feet, and there is some SERIOUS wave action during the season. Heber City (36U) and Morgan (I forgot) are two soaring airports within easy driving distance of SLC.

In the summer, you can do anything outdoors (mountain biking is awesome). In the winter, you can ski, and that was usually enough entertainment by itself. I would usually charge so hard during the day that all I wanted to do after I got home was crash.

I've always wanted to try snowboarding. If I went home, maybe I'd do that. Also, I think that Temple Square is well worth a visit... but then again, I'm biased. Also the Air Force museum at Hill AFB is very cool.

-Goose

Last edited:
The olympic park in Park City is a awesome place to go to. Look it up on the net and you can go on a bobsled run. 3+ G's. Not as cool as flying an extra but still pretty fun. There are a lot of boarding comps and skiing comps going on in park city/brighton area; so check up the schedules they are fun to go to. Park city has a few hot skiier chicks walking around main street at night. I don't drink(18 years old...) but a lot of my buddies say that the wasatch Brewery is pretty good. There are a lot of good Steak houses there too. Salt Lake City, go see the Temple there, it's kinda interesting. They have a lot of exibits and you learn a lot if you want to. As for the foreign chick missionary's, If you don't want to be bugged tell them and they will leave you alone. Kennicot (sp) mine is a cool place to go visit, HUGE. There are a few really nice club scenes, Vortex or W lounge is where you can find the hottest chicks. If you get really bored drop me a line and come on down to Provo International Airport and I'll show you a few maneuvers you learn by flying with 6+ guys in a uncontrolled pattern. I think the traffic avoidance training I can give is priceless, but I'll give it free to you. Gives me an excuse to go kill some bugs. other than that, go check out the malls, lots of hot chicks. Jazz games are fun to go to, we suck, but that means cheap tix. Other than that, coming from a college kid who's lived here for 12 years, If you dont have a dirt bike or snowmobile, it's pretty lame. Enjoy it!

Some of the best skiing I've ever done was at Alta -- just up the road from Snowbird. Smaller, family owned mountain with much cheaper tickets and better snow (at least when I went years ago).

Alta is great. Snowbird is as well. It would be a tough choice. Try 'em both.
EAT AT THE RED IGUANA FOR GREAT MEXICAN FOOD. It is on North Temple and 6th or7th west... I think, look it up and go. GREAT FOOD. Try the Mole, they have a bunch of different types, red, yellow, etc.
Hike/run the wasatch crest trail....
Go to the Dead Goat saloon. I think it is a topless joint. What is really funny is that it is across the street from the mormon temple. BWAHHAHWHAAAA

Latest resources

Back