Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic/Frontier/Midwest SLI Arbitration?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Senior vs. junior. Airbus vs. EMB. Wide body vs. narrow body. Captains vs. FOs. MKE vs. DEN. "The senior guys screwed the junior guys" has been heard everywhere.

I wouldn't define that as a whipsaw.

YX vs. Rjet = whipsaw.

F9 vs. Rjet = whipsaw.

YX + F9 + Rjet = ? Maybe a $hitty deal for you but a better bargaining position against your employer.

Last edited:
Under one seniority list.... Right, and a union that will be all to willing to trade away pay rates and work rules for next to nothing, what will it take? Probably less than 2 bucks more an hour for IBT to pull us down instead of pulling themselves up to our level. I want no part of this out of control tilt-a-whirl being double clutched by a meth addled carney, to me the choice was clear but that path was not taken.

Last edited:
I wouldn't define that as a whipsaw.

YX vs. Rjet = whipsaw.

F9 vs. Rjet = whipsaw.

YX + F9 + Rjet = ? Maybe a $hitty deal for you but a better bargaining position against your employer.
Define whipsaw?

Say what you will but, the 320s were bought by RJET after the transaction.

I don't know if you actually believe that multiple lists = whipsaw. If so, you are missing the enormous downside to a joint CBA for FAPA pilots. Single carrier status does nothing to prevent whipsaw. It actually sets the stage for the cheapest way for RJET *to whipsaw* us against one another. It just works out better for you.

How big a carrot do you think WH would need to dangle in front of the IBT EMB pilots to get 51% of the combined list to undo the QOL we've created over 15+ years at Frontier? IBT leadership's setting of expectations for your next contract has been non-existent at best. You think you are going to get Frontier / JetBlue 190 rates and work rules? From the starting point of your current CBA do you think you are going to get anything other than a POS regional contract? With IBT 357 negotiating against RJET? Not likely.

Keeping the work groups and contracts separate may leave a chance for whipsaw on the table, but single carrier and representation by this "Lord of the Flys" RAH IBT group assures that it will be done - to Frontier pilots by RAH IBT pilots. The only bright spot is that you can't vote away any protections (fences) established by the arbitrator in the SLI.

In my mind the F9 contract is the starting point for negotiations. I want F9 plus work rules. And getting the pay numbers somewhere in the range of JetBlue is where we should be. If they can make a profit with those number why can't we? Skywest, Express Jet, and so on have about the same work rules as F9 so even at the regional level they can work. The folks on Purdue road wanted to be a LCC well with that comes paying like an LCC. I don't want to bring down the contract of F9 I want better that that for all of us. Together we can get that but if we stay split there will only be downward pressure on what ever F9 has. As a unified pilot group we have a much better chance of gettting what we want.

In my mind the F9 contract is the starting point for negotiations. I want F9 plus work rules. And getting the pay numbers somewhere in the range of JetBlue is where we should be. If they can make a profit with those number why can't we? Skywest, Express Jet, and so on have about the same work rules as F9 so even at the regional level they can work. The folks on Purdue road wanted to be a LCC well with that comes paying like an LCC. I don't want to bring down the contract of F9 I want better that that for all of us. Together we can get that but if we stay split there will only be downward pressure on what ever F9 has. As a unified pilot group we have a much better chance of gettting what we want.
You've proved my point. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits, but there isn't a snow ball's chance in he11 that you are going to go from zero to F9 in one contract. You aren't getting JetBlue 190 rates (roughly a 50% pay raise). If your EXCO had any experience they would know this and prepare their constituency for a more realistic outcome.

It's exactly this disconnect between expectations and reality that provides the opening management needs to convince the IBT pilots (who will quickly recall that they did want to work for a legacy, not be lifers at a commuter, when 2012 hits and legacies start hiring again en masse) that they need to take away from the LCC operation's career potential for short term gains.

You are probably right if we are not one group. I'm not a guy that has to have the exact rates of JB but we need to get in the ball park. And for you own good it is in F9 pilots best interest to help and support us doing that. If we don't it will only hurt any chance you have of impoving anything for the F9 pilot group. Can you not see that relationship? Every pilot group piggy backs on others. Both up and down. It is the best interest of every airline pilot for us to get to the levels I spoke of in the last post. If not negative presure is out there for every group. And F9 will have the most since they will be in the classic grip of the whipsaw we all have been fitting against for years. The whipsaw is a big reason our contract is the way it is today. RAH managment wanted three different airlines so the could crack the whip. We gave a lot to stop it. What are you willing to give to stop it once it starts? You have to think beyond next year. I very well might leave here someday I don't want to leave the this place putting downward pressure on my life at airline what every it may be. Think big picture, long term outside your little piece of the world. Us all as one group is bad for every pilot in the industry.

Latest resources

Back