Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

250scp

All,

I'm not a great political mind. However, I do understand the negative ramifications to my hope of returning to the airline industry if Sen Inhofe gets his amendment to repeal the Age 60 rule passed through Congress. Although the members of this board don't agree on much, every furloughee and current pilot who hopes to continue to climb through the ranks to their ultimate "dream job" should be vehemently against passage of this amendment.
I would urge each of you on this board to use your constitutional right to have your voice be heard and send an email to your respective Senators to VOTE NO on this amendment. Below is an excerpt from an ALPA email. Please take a look at it and ACT.

When the United States Senate returns from the Memorial Day recess on June 3rd, it is expected to take up S. 824, the FAA Reauthorization Bill. During consideration of that bill on the Senate floor, Republican Senator Jim Inhofe from Oklahoma will offer an amendment to repeal the Age 60 Rule. The Inhofe Amendment would immediately increase the retirement age to 63, opening the way for retired pilots, age 63 or less, to return to the cockpit. Thereafter, the retirement age would be increased to 66.

ALPA is opposed to the Inhofe Amendment. ALPA’s position on this amendment is consistent with the Association’s policy on the Age 60 Rule as established by its governing bodies and reaffirmed at the May 2003 Executive Board meeting in Washington, DC.

Many ALPA members are naturally concerned about the effects that repeal of the Age 60 Rule, as proposed in the Inhofe Amendment, would have on their career expectations. For the nearly 10,000 ALPA members who are on furlough, passage of this legislation could extend the period of unemployment. For those who are looking forward to retirement in the next few years, it could result in changes in their retirement plans and benefits.

The airlines are also concerned about the effects of this legislation on their operations. Because of the many uncertainties associated with increasing the pilot retirement age at this time, most of the major carriers are opposed to the Inhofe Amendment.

We urge you to use the “Write to Congress” link on the ALPA website at www.alpa.org to email the following message to your United States Senators urging them to vote NO on the Inhofe Amendment.

SAMPLE MESSAGE

SUBJECT: VOTE “NO” ON THE INHOFE AMENDMENT

I am a pilot for _(airline name)_ and a resident of _(state name) . I am opposed to the Inhofe Amendment to repeal the Age 60 retirement rule for airline pilots that will be offered to S. 824, the FAA Reauthorization Bill, during Senate floor consideration.

Please vote NO when it comes up for a vote on the Senate floor.

Thank you for considering my request.

To use the “Write to Congress” link, go to the MEC website, click on the “Write to Congress” icon, and type in your zip code. Your Senators and Representative will appear. Click “Write Your Elected Officials” with one click. When your legislators’ names appear, click on the checkmark by your Representative’s name. That will exclude him/her from receiving your message; you only want to send this message to your Senators.

Please be sure to include the following in your message:

►the name of your airline

►your state of residence

►if you are a furloughed pilot

Spread the word and lets not rock the industry more than whats been done since 9/11.

age 60 rule stupid

The age 60 rule was stupid when it was passed in 1958 and it still stupid today. It was passed for polical reasons and oppossed by ALPA at the time. It should be repealed for polical reasons today. It has nothing to do with safety, I can fly a 727 after 60 if it is not scheduled, but I can not fly a S-340 if is scheduled. The only opposition to this repeal is by self serving individuals who feel it is there duty to impose theeir will on someone else. If you don't like the age 60 rule send a message

SAMPLE MESSAGE

SUBJECT: VOTE “YES” ON THE INHOFE AMENDMENT

I am a pilot for _(airline name)_ and a resident of _(state name) . I favor the Inhofe Amendment to repeal the Age 60 retirement rule for airline pilots that will be offered to S. 824, the FAA Reauthorization Bill, during Senate floor consideration.

Please vote YES when it comes up for a vote on the Senate floor.

Thank you for considering my request.

To use the “Write to Congress” link, go to the MEC website, click on the “Write to Congress” icon, and type in your zip code. Your Senators and Representative will appear. Click “Write Your Elected Officials” with one click. When your legislators’ names appear, click on the checkmark by your Representative’s name. That will exclude him/her from receiving your message; you only want to send this message to your Senators.

Please be sure to include the following in your message:

►the name of your airline

►your state of residence

►if you are a pilot loosing his job because of a stupid rule

Spread the word and set straight a mistake made over 40 years ago.

I'm not really sure if I agree with the age 60 rule or not. I know I have no desire to work past 60, but I'm not sure I agree with legislation making 60 the mandatory retirement age. Not sure I disagree, either. I seem to go back an forth on this issue.

What I am fairly certain of is that this rule has virtually no chance of being repealed at this time. There is simply too much opposition in the "right" places. Or "wrong" places, depending on your point of view.

That Congress site is great. Thanks for the link. As for the issue at hand, I did my part.

I don't believe that the government should mandate that everyone retire at age 60. But if they're going to do it, then they need to also make provisions that mandatory-retired airline pilots can gain immediate access to medicare and social security benefits without being penalized for it, or having to wait five to seven more years before being eligible to claim "full" benefits. Those of you writing your reps in Congress to enforce such a law should also ask that these provisions be included for those pilots affected by it.

before you tell congress that you are against, think about what just happen to our brethens at usair.

alpa's position is political, not logical.....

I agree with those of you who really don't want to work past 60. I hope I can retire before or by then. I will admit I am not savvy enough on the pros and cons, but I do know I am feeling a lot of LUV from B190's avatar. Thanks B190!

Aplus:D

Latest resources

Back