Question to any ATController

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a related question:

Let's say I'm given a descent to X, cross ABC at (same) X. Do you want me to be level at the new altitude exactly at the fix, or can I descend now (say I'm 20 miles out) and "drag" it to the fix?

Got my peepee whacked by a captain for doing a 3:1 descent to be level exactly at the fix. It worked, like it always does, but he wanted me down NOW to cross LATER.

Your "Captain" is wrong if I read your post correctly. If the clearance is to cross ABC at 10,000ft and you stay level and the fly a decent profile that hits ABC at 10,000 you have complied. If your 300 miles from ABC and start down now to then fly level at 10,000 for 240 miles then you have complied also. The problem is the later profile burns much more fuel and any Captain worth his salt would prefer the first profile.

Don't forget that you should limit climbs/descents in RVSM airspace to no greater than 1000 fpm to avoid nuisance TCAS RAs.

Don't forget that you should limit climbs/descents in RVSM airspace to no greater than 1000 fpm to avoid nuisance TCAS RAs.

Climbs: Fine, my plane will barely do that in RVSM airspace anyway.

Descents: Screw that. Show me that in the regs and I'll show you a reg that A.) No one follows; B.) ATC doesn't want you to do; and C.) Is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Climbs: Fine, my plane will barely do that in RVSM airspace anyway.

Descents: Screw that. Show me that in the regs and I'll show you a reg that A.) No one follows; B.) ATC doesn't want you to do; and C.) Is stupid, stupid, stupid.

That's really not bright. Why not increase your initial descent rate so you CAN do 1500 fpm in the last 1000-2000'

And if you're going into an airport that crosses arriving and departing traffic with 1000' separation, you WILL force a TCAS RA if you're diving at 3000 fpm to make the fix. The same goes for climbing out.

When I do get those TA's and occasional RA's, I'll know it must be you blundering through the skies with the blessing of ATC. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back